1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Basses - 60s or 70s spacing - which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Jul 31, 2019.

1. 60's spacing gets you Jaco tone (well that and lots of skill). 70's spacing not so much, but still doable, if that's your thing.

2. Or Toconoma, too

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I prefer the extra mid honk you get with the 70’s position like on my ‘72.

51F4D37F-C272-45FF-8730-254F9386E0B1.

4. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013

70's jazz - cut live in a TV studio - GREAT sound

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    That and (I would argue) the distance between the pickups. Interesting phase cancellations happen with 2 pickup basses when both pickups are on full, and those cancellations are hugely influenced by quite small differences is relative distances. I had a couple Stammys built using some variations on J bass spacings that worked out rather well for me, being a mostly finger style player. These phase issues....distance between pickups are IMO a big part of the reason (bedsides position relative to the bridge) why some basses like Ken Smiths and Cirrus have that mid focus, even with 2 pickups on full.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 4:22 AM
    dabbler likes this.