Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz basses and maple fretboards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Recently I've noticed that almost all of the Jazz style basses I see have rosewood fretboards, I've seen very few with maple boards.

Why is this?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here go some :) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i think it seems that alder/rosewood is the darker more common thing.. ive always like ash/maple combo plus maple necks look better to me!!.. but apperantly there is a huge difference in tone... i cant hear it but i have virgin ears!!

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You haven't looked hard enough? ;)

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i'm thinking they color match them so they don't look weird. For instance, my transparent orange finish would look weird with a rosewood board you know?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC, Fender didn't offer maple necks on any basses from the origin of the Jazz bass until the late '60's and even then was only on the Tele basses, once again, IIRC. I don't recall seeing a Jazz bass built before the '70's with a maple board, and thus, people who make Jazz basses in the classic, sought after, '60's fashion, use Rosewood to be true to the time, and the tone.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

8. what's that little metal plate below the bridge?

9. I own three basses and two have maple fret boards a MIA jazz and an Ibanez ATK. The only one that is rosewood is a fretless jazz. Fretless just sound wierd with a maple neck.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's a battery compartment :)

11. When I was heavily into bass as a kid, I picked up a maple jazz in 1975. It was most assuredly second hand, but I dont recall how old it was.

Unfortuntely, I do recall selling it for $175 to buy a new Peavey T40,which to this day I think was a better bass.

Do they sound different? Are they faster playing? I had the jzzz, the T40 and a bicentennial Tbird with rosewood. The tbird was so neck heavy, you couldnt play it very fast regardless of fingerboard.

The t40 is worth what Ipaidforit in 1980. The jazz, ugh, I could buy a really nice bass with that old jazz now. :(

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Funny, both my Jazz 5 and Jazz 5 fretless are ebony, but here:

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Tele's bring it!

14. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    three words....

Fender Geddy Lee :D

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Real strange looking Jazz basses you have there! :rolleyes:

16. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    personally I prefer the maple, but I noticed that most of the jazzes I saw were rosewood....just got me to thinkin'

17. I think it's not exceptional to have maple. Pretty common. Here's my Sadowsky j bass:

[​IMG]