Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz basses just aren't me :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draginon, Feb 21, 2006.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I went to Sam Ash to tryout a few Fender jazzes and I have concluded jazz basses are not for me. The big round P bass sound is a sound I have grown to love since picking up bass. It's naturally fat and boomy and can be as big or small as you like via 1 tone knob. You can take the fat and boomy out by playing in a different position with the tone knob all the way on and 500k pots would help. You cannot however, get a P-bass sound out of a jazz bass unless it is active. The only 2 basses that could mimic P-bass fatness were the marcus miller, and the ibanez roadgear setup. Not to say that a P bass can perfectly mimic a jazz but... Precisions are definitely my sound.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I thought the same thing til I got my Jazz, and now that's my sound. I'll go both ways tho, as long as its got a B-neck.

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I love them as well though I like the added variety that comes with a Jazz bass.

If you found your sound, stick with it!

Best,

Mark

4. i used to love jazz basses and then one day when i rounded up 700 bucks to go get a 60's classic jazz i walked home with a nice MIA P bass. i always thought they looked nice i just dont like the way the neck feels or the playing of it so i just went with the thick neck p and stuff.

jazzes arent for me either so your not alone.

5. My dream is a Ash Jazz body (with the jazz pickups and knobs) and a 70's P bass neck wit a maple FRETLESS FINGERBOARD! That is the combo for me.

6. I'm more of a P-Bass over J-Bass guy myself, even though I really love Ricks...

I can get a decent Rick impersonation out of a P-Bass with a maple fretboard, but J-Basses just sound a little too nasal for me when they get bright..

Ricks and P-Basses have more of an unrefined sound, which I prefer for rock music.:D

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I hear the new American Series Fender Jazz with the S1 switching comes pretty close to the sound of a P in engaged. Sure, only a P can be a P but these new Js can come close. More so, you'll get additional tonal variety with the additional J pickup in the bridge and all without the need of a battery.

r

8. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    if you install an s1 switch in a Jazz you'll definately get a "p-ish" sound aswell.. I currently have a 75 p at home and compared it to my 76 jazz with a s1 switch.. and god damn they sound very similar... i really thought it would be a bigger difference than it actually was. the only problem is that now the "ordinary" jazz-sound doesn't seem to sound just as good anymore...playing with a pick that is..

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What's with the frown? You've discovered more of what your preferenced are and what you like. There's nothing bad about that.

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I don't understand, did you want the J sound to be your sound?

If you ever decide to try out the J sound again, get a P/J bass, or as someone else mentioned, a Jazz with a Ser/Par switch is supposed to closely emulate a P.

I wouldn't worry, the P bass sound is a great sound to have. ;)

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've always preferred P-basses to J-basses for looks, tone, and playability.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've owned a bunch of different basses over the years, but it seems as I ALWAYS have a jazz style bass in the bunch. It definitely IS my sound.

13. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm a pbass man, jazz have necks that are too thin and their sound is too bright. If I ever sit in with a band and have to play a jazz I turn it all on the neck and play practically on the fretboard.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I dig both percisions, and jazz basses.
    But for the last three years, I've played P-basses about 90% of the time.
    Just like bigger neck, and fat sound.
    But still have a jazz in the closet.

15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I thought the same until I built a jazz and then installed a push/pull pot for series/parallel. Beautiful. Only a P is a P of course, but now my precision stays at home. As a side note, I now like both options series and parallel. I still love the p-esque' series, but I have found alot of use for the traditional jazz paralell configuration.

16. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have a Jazz w\ S1 switching and SD Antiquity II pups - it sounds just like a P Bass (to me anyways) with the switch engaged and a slight rolloff of the tone knob. In fact, I thought it sounded better than my P Bass and sold it. I like the overall styling, versatility and neck profile of the jazz over the P, personally but the P tone is a "must have". Glad I can get it all in one instrument...

17. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Even with an s1, then neck on a jazz doesn't work for me. I spent years playing on a 82 reissue p of my dads with the larger size fender necks. I recently started college and moved out so I had to get one of my own as he didn't want the 82 in the dorms. I bought a 97 american standard, the bass is great but I still like the bigger neck, this has the smaller pbass neck.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I never used to like Jazz Basses either untill I played my MIJ 75 Reissue. I love that bass, but I don't think I will ever get another Fender. Sometimes it is all about just finding the right one. if you like the body style and not the way it plays, pick up a different jazz. I feel that they all play and sound a little different than each other. Also, the stock pickups may not be to your liking. I think that fender single coils suck pretty much.

19. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I've played my bass teacher's 5 string Jazz. I don't know what year it is, though. Very nice bass, but I love my Spector.