Jazz basses, which is best for the average player?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I love jazz basses! I play a little of everything and want a good all around jazz bass. Which would be the best fit (new or used) for the average player around 1000-1500 bucks? and as always...explain and post pics!

(I know this has been done ad nauseum, BUT I still can't decide how much of a sound/playability difference there is between Sadowskys, Lulls, Laklands, Moduli, etc. At some point, it seems like there is a diminishing return for the non-professional middle class player)
  2. If you want a real Fender Jazz bass, you should really play as many different ones as you can. If you want something along the lines of a Jazz bass, I would recommend checking out either an Ernie Ball Stering, or a Yamaha TRB4.

Both are excellent basses, and both are within your price range.

I recently played a Geddy Lee, MIA Jazz, an Aerodyne, a 1964 reissue, and a few others. They're all different.

Good luck.

3. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    There are many, many Jazz-type instruments on the market, and only you can say for sure which one suits your needs. FWIW, I owned a MIA 1997 Jazz that I paid about 500 dollars for. Regular old Fender, although the pickups were swapped out for Custom Shop models. I also have a Fender Custom Shop NOS 1964 Jazz bass. The 97 MIA Jazz compared favorably to the CS Jazz, but of course the price was quite different.

My point is that a 500 dollar used Jazz bass COULD be as good for you as a 2000 dollar ‘fancy’ Jazz. I really only got the CS Jazz because….well, because I could.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    What they said.... :) I just got a MIA Fender jazz for $675 new. If that fits your taste they can be had for a good price.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have a Sterling, Lakland 55-01, and a Fender.

I prefer the Sterling by far. Playability, range of tone, neck feel, weight, body size, are all superior to my taste.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ditto...Fender American Series or Fender Vintage Reissue, take your pick.
  7. What about the MIJ artist modles?
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Since the question was "best GENERAL PURPOSE jazz bass" then it seemed to me a generic model like the AmSeries is the answer. I only tossed in the VRIs because some players might prefer the feel and tone of those.

Of the MIJ sig J bass models, only the Noel Redding is like a stock J. The Noel is a nice bass, but they don't make them any more.
  9. The Noel Redding bass had more of a Precision neck on it (larger than 1.5" nut). I ordered one blindly because it was supposed to be a 'replica' of Redding's '65 Jazz. I thought that would be a nice alternative to dragging around my '65 Jazz. I think it still sits pretty good into the price range, and although it's not really a Jazz, the G&L L2000 with a #6 neck is among the best in the class of 2 pickup Fender styled instruments IMO.