Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz basses with angled headstocks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Jun 22, 2004.

Which headstock on a jazz style body?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2004.
  1. Angled

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Traditional Fender style

44 vote(s)
    69.8%
  1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    The benavente thread got me thinking....

What is the general consensus for angled headstocks on a jazz body? I love the look of the Benaventes (I didn't think I would...).

If it is a traditional jazz (solid color alder body/ rosewood or maple on maple neck...), then I like traditional headstocks.

But for non-traditional jazz (figured tops and/or no pickguards..), there seems to be alot of benefit to the angled headstock.

Just curious...

2. I've always thought the 4 inline tuners on a titled headstock looked goofy.

It on;y really works if there are 2 or 3 to each side.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Personally, its more convenient to have tuners in-line,, along the top edge of the headstock... BUT, I prefer the look of a 2+2 config.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I was actually thinking 2+2 or 2+3 depending on the strings....angled on 4 inline definately looks strange.

5. I think it just depends on the shape of the headstock. With my Curbow, I decided to keep it simple and go with the headstock from his International Exotic Petite bass, which requires a 2+2 configuration. But, I agree that with a figured top and no pickguard, 2+2 looks better..

[​IMG]

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    That's nice!

7. Thanks!
    So, you thinkin' about a custom J-style bass?

8. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think everyone's opinion will differ on the look of the tuners and headstock, 4-in-a-row is convenient, 2+2 looks better, etc. Tilited headstocks are technically better though. First of all there is no use for a string tree or any other hardware like that. Also, with a tilted headstock there is more tension at the nut for the maximum tension on the string to the bridge. And finally, the angled headstock counters the string tension to help create balance therefore giving you less wear. I remember I had a mid eighteis Kramer 4-string P-bass when they were hot. It had the dorky v-shaped headstock, not tilted and had a string tree. The head stock permanently bent up, no kidding!

9. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i just dont like string trees :scowl:

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

always. I will have to wait until my playing abilities surpasses my SX Jazz I currently have. I can't decide between a more custom looking design and a traditional design. I like both (but don't have the money for both). If I went with a tilted headstock:

5A flame maple on ash (blue dye finish)
    Birdseye maple on birdseye maple neck w/abalone dots

something like that...