Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ravex, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Ravex

Ravex

Jun 25, 2001
    New york
    hey, I'm new here. I'm ikickuintheball's friend. I would like to know what is a good bass for playing jazz? (um preferably non-fender) either 4 or 5 string doesn't matter. price up to 800. I can't go any higher than $800. I've been playing almost a year. Any help will be nice. Thanks. :)

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    None fender tone-hmmm-i dunno, i own only FMIC instruments so far so i can't really help ya. I think just about any bass can be used in any sort of music. I know i'm not an elder or anything on here but i'm guessing go to a local shop & try as many as you can. Thats all

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    $800? What you could do is get a Yamaha RBX760. Have you ever tried those? They are about $500 brand new in the stores.. They sound great, Nice Active Pickups and so forth. Give them a shot. With the money you have left over. You could upgrade your pups (since that bass is moddable) to something like a Bartolini,Seymour Duncan, EMG sets.. They around $250. Get it installed for about $50. There is your $800. For a fantastic sounding bass. Just because you have $800 doesn't mean you have to spend it all on a bass. you can use it for pick up upgrades... or maybe save up for a new head unit or cabinet. :) Its just my $0.02

DM:D

And welcome to TalkBass! :D i know Ikickuintheballs as well. He's going to come check out our band on 7/9 when we play at CBGB's.. maybe you come watch us with him?:)

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I just played a bunch of basses in 3 different stores and I was really impressed by the under-$800 basses by Yamaha-I tried the RBX765, the 5-string version of the RBX760. It was $569 at GC and it had a surprisingly good B string, versatile pickups and electronics, and a comfortable neck. G&L also makes some excellent instruments starting at around $700, though they're pretty Fender-like. You can also find a lot of used high-end basses for that price.

5. I don't see why you wont consider a Fender, for jazz, it just seems logical to get a Jazz Bass. YOu could also check out the Ibanez BTB, tight B, very versitile, very nice looking, it sounds good and plays nice.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Spector NS-2000 Q series
    Ibanez BTB series
    Dean Edge

Oh my, A Jazz bass is for playing <i>JAZZ!!!</i> Now I gotta sell mine & buy that "Fender Alternative Hard Rock Bass". Anyone seen one? :D That's gonna take up alot of room on the headstock.

7. :)

nobody told me either, and i'm a J style bassist

damn you fender website!

8. Pau

Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I wouldn't buy a yamaha RBX for jazz. I tried the John Myung signature, (RBX6JM) and it sounded quite "hard". It hasn't a jazzy sound at all. If you want a yamaha for jazz I think you should try better The TRB's or BB's if you can afford this.

9. to be honest, i don't really think it matters, what kinda bass you have, your hearts gotta be in it, true, j basses have a distinctive sound that is 'associated' with jazz, but if all Jazz bassist had used the bottom 4 of a spanish guitar, that would be the associated instrument

by all means get and instrument thats got a wide tonal spectrum, and that is capable of sounding like jazz and other music styles, but don't get caught up in, well it's not designed for jazz, or, marcus miller doesn't play it, that kind of thing, it's better to have your own style and sound, don't be someone who spends all their time trying to immitae,

inovate, create something new, use a dingwall, that'd be fun, get whatever bass that feels true to you and don't be put off if someone say's it's not jazz, it's all jazz as long as it swings

:)

10. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    If you're looking to strictly play jazz, you might want to consider going the double bass (upright) route.

Just something to consider.

Bones

11. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Or if you want a sound closer to contrabass, without all the troubles associated with a true contrabass (transport, micing, MONEY, etc.), I'd suggest looking into fretless instruments.

But, as has already been said, no instrument is "the jazz instrument" or "the rock instrument" or anything silly like that. I suggest you buy an instrument that speaks to you personally, and it'll fit into whatever style you play.

12. Ravex, while you can use any bass for jazz, if you're using a Fender Jazz as a starting point, check out both the Ibanez BTB series (excellent)
    and the Yamaha RBX and BB series. I just bought a Yamaha BB5NII. It looks a lot like a G&L 2000, and sounds like a Jazz bass, but with pickups that are more growly, and absolutely quiet. ($479.00 w/case) The TRB serires is excellent too, but they live in the $1,100.00 neighborhood. Also, check out a bass you've never heard of, or think you won't like. You may be very surprised by the not-so-big-sellers.

Mike J.