Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lateralus_84, May 12, 2003.

1. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Hey everyone.... I'm new to bass, but have been playing guitar for 2 years. I have a question about jazz basses: Are they well suited to play hard rock music? If not, what kind of basses are the most versatile?
  2. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    anyone know anything about jazz basses? 9 views and no one knows?
  3. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Didn't mean for that to sound rude....:( lol.... any responses are welcome.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Easy there, killer. Your post was up for a few minutes. Gotta give people time. The answers will come. ;)

Jazz Basses are very versatile and can fit into almost any kind of music. Your playing style will have the biggest effect as to whether or not your sound "fits". Your amp also has a lot to do with it. But, if it's what you want to hear, yes, a Jazz Bass will be just fine for hard rock. You can also try a Stingray.
  5. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Thanks for your input... sorry, didn't mean to sound rude, lol.
  6. Jazz and P basses dominated the rock world 50's 60's and 70's!Give it a try..I love Fenders"my P Bass is a 1970,my Jazz was 1972"...but I'm OLD!! *LOL* If you do get one and want it to sound like most other basses out there now ...stick in a set of EMG's.
  7. KAC

Oct 9, 2002
    I used a jazz bass for a whole bunch of years, played all kinds of different music, majority of it aggresive.

With a Jazz bass, and probably most others, for hard rock you need lots of watts, good speakers for solid lows & bright highs & mids. New strings are helpful. And it doesn't hurt to play hard.

8. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I switched from my main P to my new Jazz for my rock music. Some more examples could be The Deftones, or AFI. Off the top of my head I believe both play a Fender J.
  9. lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    cool, thanks everyone... i was considering buying a geddy lee jazz bass if i can't get the music man SUB i ordered soon(it is on back order).
  10. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    IMO, you can use any bass in any style of music. I don't know where such a myth started. I pick basses for tone and playability, not how they sound in a specific setting. Play anything, anywhere. If you like it, you like it.
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    your right dude.... for me

12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Jazz basses are always a good choice. You may also want to consider Warwick. They seem to be favoured by a number of hard rock players...
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Man, there isn't anything wrong with a Geddy Lee. It's a very killin' bass for just about any style.