Jazz Bassists that played electric bass...in the 50's and 60's.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by soma89, Apr 8, 2019.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    So far I found some nice videos of bassists in 60s KILLING on electric bass. Not talking about Jaco-wannabe's btw. The sounds are BIG and organic.

Anybody know any other videos or recordings from this era that feature electric bass?

Go to 5:07 to hear a beautiful solo on an old Kay "howling wolf bass". The whole video is pretty awesome though

More Lenny Breau. Recording at RCA Studios with Chet Atkins. Bassist is getting a huge tone with an old Hofner Violin bass.

2. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Billy Butler plays bass on this one in more of a guitar mode. Lead instrument. It may even be one of those Fender Bass VIs but not sure.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

google monk montgomery.

4. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    How could I forget.

JRA likes this.
  5. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Very cool, also sounds like the bass is probably a fretted.

6. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    Monk and also Bob Cranshaw . He passed away just a while ago.. I spoke with him as he was getting ready for a 80th birthday tribute to Harold Maeburn here at Smoke jazz club. He told me that Sonny Rollins asked him to play because he could here the bass better on bigger stages, and that Dizzy was also in the same camp. Sonny like the clarity of the electric also. Also Carol Kaye did gigs with west coast jazzers such as Hampton Hawes. Check out blues in all keys J Aebersold to hear some fine electric blues jazz playing by Cranshaw.

I also heard Ron Carter on some stuff electric bass briefly (Joe Henderson on Black Miracle and CTI stuff<-- more 60 to 70's), but he probably will deny it now :)

7. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Anthony Jackson started playing bass in 1968. Does that count?

TheDominoKid and TheDirtyLowDown like this.
  8. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    More looking for that big hollow flatwound tone. Basically when electric basses were more trying to sound like an upright, and the approach to them was more of an upright approach. This is the tone and style that really has been appealing to me lately.

Generally, in the 70's and 80's,I find the electric bass already had a modern tone to it and a style that was more "in your face" and funky.. also, the tone got a little more midrangey.

pbass888 and nbsipics like this.
  9. nbsipics

Apr 8, 2016
    Agreed.

soma89 likes this.
  10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    monk montgomery
    bob cranshaw
    jimmy lewis
    mickey bass

jimmy and bob played on all the jazz and soul jazz stuff in the 60's. both played upright as well i believe.

Groove Doctor, nbsipics and soma89 like this.
  11. nbsipics

Apr 8, 2016
    yep - +1 on cranshaw, an often-overlooked master

12. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    He's a bit more modern than you're asking for (he started in '70 with Dizzy Gillespie) but I'm a big fan of John Lee. Here's an example from 1997. Awesome electric bass solo starting at 5:20. In my dreams, this is what I would want to sound like. So this isn't within your 50's/60's requirement, but check it out; I think it's timelessly beautiful playing.

nbsipics and soma89 like this.
  13. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    You had me at Lenny Breau...

soma89 and JTE like this.
  14. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    There was this player named James Jamerson.....

15. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Promising thread...subscribed.

TheDominoKid and soma89 like this.
  16. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Uptown Conversation by Ron Carter was recorded in 69. In the liner notes he is credited as playing the Fender Bass.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Joe Byrd...

This may be recent (1982?)...these guys have been doing this thing for awhile.

bonin in the boneyard and soma89 like this.
  18. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Monk Montgomery helped pioneer electric bass by playing for Lionel Hampton's band. Lionel reportedly loved it. He also played with Art Farmer.

Here he is with Art's group.

19. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Given the year of the recording (1956?), that has gotta be Monk Montgomery's 51' Precision bass. Killer vibe

20. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    A little bit later (1975) but I love the playing on Bobby Hutcherson's "Montara" by Dave Troncoso and Chuck Domanico. Not as upright-50's/60's vibe as what you're talking about--more 70's, but very much classic "Fender Bass". Not flashy, just solid jazz electric bass, more like Cranshaw than Monk, with a latin flavor.

bkbirge, TheDirtyLowDown and soma89 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021