jazz bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Guybrush, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Guybrush

Mar 22, 2002
    hey people!i wanna learn who is your favourite jazz bassist.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I can't say I have just one! There are so many different styles and players. I'll try to be brief though!

Double Bassists:

-Dave Young: My primary influence. He was the one who got me playing bass in the first place!
    -Ray Brown: I learned through his work how to walk on the bass(especially melodically)

Electric Bassists:

-Alain Caron: He has been my greatest influence on the electric bass. Everything he does amazes me. When I first picked up the 6 string, I had the idea of playing bass lines and chords, with the additionaly soloistic capabilities of a 6. When I first saw Alain Caron, I knew that was the direction I wanted to go in.
    -John Patitucci: He was the one who got me playing the 6. Because he plays both the DB and the 6 string, he was an ideal musician to learn from.
    I have listened to a great deal of his music.

That about does it!:D
  3. Upright: Dave Young, Charlie Haden (check out his stuff with Metheny), Charles Mingus

Electric: Jaco Pastorius, Alain Caron
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out his stuff with ORNETTE!
    ...The Shape Of Jazz To Come; Free Jazz(w/ Scott LaFaro); This Is Our Music(just re-issued), etc ;)

Who's Dave Young!?
  5. oozon

Aug 11, 2001
    Sweden, Malmo
    Alain Caron
    Gary Willis

More recently I've come to appreciate what Matt Garrison and Richard Bona do as well.

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    LOTS of great jazz players-here's a few on the "A" list-
    Eddie Gomez
    Charnett Moffat
    Reginald Veal
    Christian McBride
    Cecil McBee
    Don Thompson
    Dave Holland
    Buster Williams
    Ron Carter
    Miroslav Vitous
    Stafford James
    George Duvivier
    Many Many more.... Gentlemen above:
    Thank you for inspiration, truth, & beauty
    oh yeah, also
    Paul Chambers
    Scott LaFaro
    Jimmy Garrison...
  7. Dont Forget Oscar Pettiford and on electric bass Jeff Berlin Is Great in a Standard Jazz Context, He can really burn,one of the best soloists on his instrument!
  8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Stanley Clarke
    Jiri Mraz
    Eberhard Weber
    Gary Peacock
    Andy Simpkins
    John Heard
    Dwayne Burno
    Ray Drummond
    Reggie Workman

Just a few more that come to mind-

The great unsung heroes of an unsung instrument-
    (except for us guys who know better!)
  9. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ

Steve Swallow -- I love his sound, his solos, and his compositions.

Dave Holland -- ditto all the above. He kills me.
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Christian McBride, Arne Livingston, Victor Bailey, Charles Mingus, Todd Phillips, William Parker, Charlie Hunter (even though he isn't REALLY a bass player...) and of course, EGG MOCHA.
  11. BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Ray Brown (obvious!), Oscar Pettiford, and the amazing NHOP (niels Henning Orsted Pederson) you gotta hear "the trio" with Joe pass, NHOP, and Oscar Peterson. Or get "Chops!" by Joe Pass doing duets with NHOP.

On electric---whoever the guy is on Joe Pass Live at Dantes.

And all the guys that have been listed so far!!!!!!!
  12. Dave Young is a canadian bassist...he's played with a lot of big ones....peterson, marsalis, etc...incredible intonation and amazing playing...check out his Two By Two duet CD's...
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I had a feelin' he was a Canadian! ;)
    Which reminds me of one of my favourite Jazz guitar albums from back in the day...Jim Hall Live with a Canadian rhythm section of Terry Clark & Don Thompson(who I see LarryJ mentioned).

Another guy NOT mentioned-
    His stuff with Air(w/ Henry Threadgill & Steve(RIP)McCall)...a record called Songlines(w/ Peter Brotzmann & Rashied Ali) is very happenin'.
    Another cool disc I just picked up with Hopkins is Bern Nix' Alarms & Excursions. It's a trio disc & Nix' guitar clean tone is outta the straightahead school.
    Nix is known as one of the guitarist in Ornette's Prime Time band...Alarms & Excursions is in the vibe of everyone "soloing" at the same time.
    ...Harmolodics, baby! ;)
  14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)

Oh, man, I forgot Rufus Reid!!!
  15. JacoJr

JacoJr Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Decatur GA.
    I love Jaco (he rules the electric world), and the best upright players are Ray Brown (clearly the best), and Christian McBride. John Pattitucci is also damn good at what he does. I saw him w/ Dave Weckle on electric, and he blew my mind (it was the first real bass player I had ever heard, and now I just think hes really good). He can really play on an upright also (the best concert I ever saw was him, Herbie Hancock, Michael Brecker, and Roy Hargrove doing a tribute to Trane).
  16. Aquinas

Mar 16, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    C'mon, what about Chuck Rainey and his funky jazz? And of course the bassist from Louis Armstrong, cant remember his name all of a sudden.