Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz bazz action help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Mar 7, 2005.

1. so i borrowed this jazz bass from my friend (whose a guitar player) to "fix" it up... i restrung it, cleaned it and fixed the action..so i thought. what happens is everytime i adjust the trussrod and get the bridge to where its easy to play but doesnt buzz..the neck seems to warp over night (or within a few hours) and completely screws everything up! should i keep trying to reset it until it stays..or what should i do?! has anyone had this problem before?! thank you all for your help! :confused:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are you sure you know what youre doing with the truss rod?

3. yes i am an experienced bass player (8 years) and all my other basses have perfect action. this is why i am confused.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Nothing like this has happened to me - both my Ibanez and my SX's truss rod's are stiff as boards and won't budge unless I move em...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Could be a bum neck, if you know what you are doing. Off to Setup, where our repair and setup experts hang.

6. 1. yes.
    2. yes, but during my 3rd time of adjusting it i over compensated for this by intentionally making it buzzy (by tightening the trussrod too much) i came back a few hours later and no more buzzing because the action had become so high! thats the problem, i wish it HAD stayed buzzy!
    3.well when i made it buzzy at first, i adjusted the bridge so that it didnt buzz and the neck was still straight...but that didnt last long..
    4. i think im gonna have to bring it in to a pro, like i said all my other basses play perfect and the trussrod stays just fine. i do know what im doing..this is why i am confused... :help:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is so true.

I have been playing bass for over 26 years, and have just become adept at doing a decent setup in the past few months. Mostly due to the wealth of information from the guys in the Setup forum.