Jazz Body with Precision Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I am so used to the p-bass neck but love the look of the j-bass... Just tried the J-bass with the J neck it just felt too wierd...But god I love that sound... Do you think its wierd to just bolt on a precision neck on the jazz body? haha it would solve the problem of it tipping over haha YES i can lay it against the wall!
  2. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Also Im hoping it to be jet black like a reflecting mirror haha and its got to be P+J...To top it off have blue leds in the fretboard hehe...
  3. If/when I ever get Warmoth to build a bass for me, it will be a J body with a P neck, P+J pickup configuration.

I prefer P necks.

The J-body doesn't stand up as well in a typical cradle stand, but I can deal with that. I prefer the J body, but can't define quite why.
  4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio
    I believe Tim Commerford from RATM plays a Jazz w/ a Precision neck. So, no, it's not weird. I want to do that someday myself.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Nothing wrong with that, Nino just did it on his heavily modded Geddy Sig bass.
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use a jazz with P neck. Had a C-neck from a 66 Precision, but about a year ago I put on a vintage finished Allparts P neck (B size) and love it. I too do not like the narrow jazz necks. Both my 69 jazzes have very skinny necks and they just cramp up my hand. I think you'll really like the J with P neck.
  7. RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I had an old P-bass with a jazz neck for a while. No, I don't think any different combination is strange as long as you like it.
  8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

P-Body, J neck for me. With P+J p/ups!

And I know what you mean about the J-body in a stand. Unless it hangs by the headstock, they just don't sit very well.

Actually, I found a five-string version here several months ago. Passive with a Bart P5 and a SD MM5 instead of J. Still, I wouldn't sell or trade it for anything!

Now if I could just find a Bart MM5 to replace the Duncan...

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    My jazz is a 1966 body with a 1963 percision neck.
    Plays and sounds great.
    I prefer the 1 3/4 size p-neck.
    Go for it.
  10. Isn't the Mark Hoppus Signature bass a J bod with P neck and pup?