Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Body with Precision Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I am so used to the p-bass neck but love the look of the j-bass... Just tried the J-bass with the J neck it just felt too wierd...But god I love that sound... Do you think its wierd to just bolt on a precision neck on the jazz body? haha it would solve the problem of it tipping over haha YES i can lay it against the wall!

2. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Also Im hoping it to be jet black like a reflecting mirror haha and its got to be P+J...To top it off have blue leds in the fretboard hehe...

3. If/when I ever get Warmoth to build a bass for me, it will be a J body with a P neck, P+J pickup configuration.

I prefer P necks.

The J-body doesn't stand up as well in a typical cradle stand, but I can deal with that. I prefer the J body, but can't define quite why.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I believe Tim Commerford from RATM plays a Jazz w/ a Precision neck. So, no, it's not weird. I want to do that someday myself.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Nothing wrong with that, Nino just did it on his heavily modded Geddy Sig bass.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use a jazz with P neck. Had a C-neck from a 66 Precision, but about a year ago I put on a vintage finished Allparts P neck (B size) and love it. I too do not like the narrow jazz necks. Both my 69 jazzes have very skinny necks and they just cramp up my hand. I think you'll really like the J with P neck.

7. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I had an old P-bass with a jazz neck for a while. No, I don't think any different combination is strange as long as you like it.

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

P-Body, J neck for me. With P+J p/ups!

And I know what you mean about the J-body in a stand. Unless it hangs by the headstock, they just don't sit very well.

Actually, I found a five-string version here several months ago. Passive with a Bart P5 and a SD MM5 instead of J. Still, I wouldn't sell or trade it for anything!

Now if I could just find a Bart MM5 to replace the Duncan...

dcr

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My jazz is a 1966 body with a 1963 percision neck.
    Plays and sounds great.
    I prefer the 1 3/4 size p-neck.
    Go for it.

10. Isn't the Mark Hoppus Signature bass a J bod with P neck and pup?