Jazz book recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cornbread, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    This topic has probably already been done to death, but here goes. I'm looking for a good jazz bass book, but I can't seem to find anything at local stores. I just saw Mel Bay's Jazz book for electric bass yesterday. I didn't buy it because it devotes way too many pages on arpeggios in different positions. I don't really need a book for that.(besides it's better practice to figure that out myself) Some folks here recommend Mark Levine's(?) book; where can I find it? I don't want to order stuff over the Internet, so what stores carry it? And what kind of books deal more with theory and less with tons of arpeggio patterns, for example?
    BTW, instead of buying that jazz book, I bought Maceo Parker's live in Cologne CD. Funky stuff! and much more rewarding... :D
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Barnes & Noble should have Levine's Jazz Theory(if not, call them up & order it).
    I have a book called Jazz Bass Compendium by Sigi Busch; I think I picked that up(awhile ago)from Jamey Aebersold. Check www.jajazz.com
    The Improviser's Bass Method by Chuck Sher is "OK", too(some here will disagree). www.shermusic.com

I'd recommend the Levine book & listening/buying cds & rapping with guys that actually play "Jazz".

(Who's the drummer on that Parker cd?)
  3. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Buy volume one of the real book, it;s the best thing you'll ever buy in your life!!!
  4. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Jim, the drummer is Kenwood Dennard and the bassist is Vincent Henry. It's really smokin! There's a 11 minute version of "Pass the Peas", and the whole CD is 76 minutes!
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My vote goes towards "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid. I love my copy! It's mainly geared towards upright, but all of the exercises and theory apply to electric bass as well.
  6. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Ron Carter's "building jazz bass lines" is very good.
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Ed Friedland has two excellent book/CD sets on walking bass lines. They will give you an excellent foundation for jazz playing.

Most major book sellers would be willing to order books for you if you have the name of the author and name of the book. It might take a couple of weeks to receive the books, but if you don't want to order on the Internet, try taht.
  8. "The Art of Walking Bass" by Bob Magnusson comes with a CD (Peter Erskine is the drummer on it along with a piano player whose name escapes me).

It's great for the theory of walking bass. It's published by Musician's Institute (MI).
    It has the theory of construction plus some great lines to play and learn from. Less than $20.

I found mine at Sam Ash, but any GOOD sheet music/music book store should carry it.

9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Building Walking Basslines & Expanding Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland are 2 very good books, that should get you off on the right foot for jazz music. He doesnt give you any riffs to play really, instead, he teaches you the tools to make your own lines, then makes you apply the material that you learned by giving you chords progressions and having you play your own lines to them..just like you would in a real playing environment...they are 2 very good books imo and worth looking into.
  10. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just got "Building Walking Bass Lines", and I'm excited about working through it. It seems pretty concise and has 55 progressions on the CD! How is "Expanding Walking Bass Lines" different?
    I'm going to try to find "Jazz Theory" as soon as my budget allows.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    to me it looked pretty much the same, just different progressions....and a few different aproaches that werent in the 1st book. I need to bury my face in it a bit more, im still working with the 1st book to be honest with you and barely open the 2nd.
  12. i'm asking my parents for the first ed friedland walking bass book for my birthday (it's coming up, fellas! i hope you've got a big celebration planned for me and JT!)