jazz books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 28, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    which instructional books for starting playing jazz bass do you suggest? i play rock and i want to have some clues to the jazz world.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the advice given so far but would add that there is no substitute for actually doing it and playing with other people and having made this transition myself recently (about 3-4 years ago) I can attest that there is a huge difference in what is demanded of you as a bassist.

But to get back to the topic - I did find that Ed Friedland's books were helpful for clues for a Jazz beginner - the one just called "Jazz Bass" was useful for getting an idea about what is expected and I have since leant my copy to other bass players making the same transition.
  3. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Gotta agree with you there Bruce, I recently purchased Ed Friedlands "Bass Improvisation" book and I must say its one of the best instructional books I've ever read, the great thing is that the ideas presented in it can be easily applied to any instrument not just bass also Friedlands writing style is concise and to the point and he has a great knack of imparting tons of information in a few lines (jeez I sound like a book reviewer), the accompanying CD is pretty good as well (as you can mute the bassline and play along with the accompaniment or vice versa).

(the book also does a great job about explaining what those pesky "mode" thingies are all about);)