Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz bridge pickup tonal differences: standard vs '70s spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I am familiar with the classic sound of a soloed jazz bridge pickup. I just wanted to know how much of a difference there was between the standard position pickups on jazz basses and the '70s position closer to the bridge. Jaco is a great example of the bridge pickup tone, but are there some players that are representative of the '70s position bridge pickup sound? Perhaps somebody has a clip?

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Sorry if this is better suited for the pickups forum. It seemed borderline of pickups and basses.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I think you're in the right place.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    permission to bump

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I would think that the 70s bridge position would be necessary to get the authentic bridge plus neck 70s Jbass Marcus Miller slap sound. Can anyone confirm this from experience?

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Yeah, I was thinking of Marcus's sound as far as slap. What I want to hear is a soloed bridge pickup tone. I haven't found any Marcus stuff where he solos the bridge, except for maybe when he uses his fretless. Does his fretless have the same 70s position pickup?

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I think the solo'd bridge is more throaty and hi-endy. I don't think that J bridge pups have much bottom to them but the 70's have even less. That being said, the 70's J's are my favorite for the reason you mentioned above. Mixed together with the neck pickup, they have a fantastic slap tone. Just seem's to cut through a little more in my ear at least.