1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Bridge Placement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DanHB18, Jul 26, 2012.

1. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    Could somebody give me a measurement or point me to a reference for this? I've bought a jazz body that has been routed for the pickups and electronics, but doesnt have the bridge holes cut. How do I know where to put the bridge. Wont that affect my intonation? Also, any tips on drilling the hole for the bridge ground? Thanks, hopefully this makes sense

2. Don't rely on measurements given to you. Take your own measurements. You need to learn the basics of bridge location. That is, the G saddle should be extended out to about 90% of it's travel (toward the nut) Measure from the nut's witness point to the 12th fret. If it is a 34" scale, it should be 17". measure from the 12th fret to a point on the body (inline with the G string) 17" That is the exact point you want the saddle to be located.
    It also helps to run a straight line from the very center of the nut, down the centerline of the neck extending out to the rear of the body. This will give you a centerline to work off of for the bridge plate.
    Rocky

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Rocky's right. As for the ground wire, you need a long drill bit, they are available.