Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Build on the Cheap....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gecko 5, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I want to start by saying I am in no way, shape or form a luthier.
    I have a chance to do some fill-in work with a 7 piece horn band this summer. A couple songs will require a Jazz bass, for some minor slapping.
    I thought I would save up a few bucks and pick up a MIM Jazz.
    Then I found a guy on E#*y that makes bodies and necks DIRT CHEAP. I have not received the body yet, but its on the way.
    I ordered a neck on Saturday. Maple with a Pau Ferro fingerboard with abalone dots.
    Body is ash, rear routed.
    Both pieces are going to be about $300

Here is the body...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking for parts(bridge, pickups and tuners), for quite a while a couple days ago. The next day I was at a vintage guitar show in Alsip, Illinois. My good friend Leo Lopez ( www.leosgear.com ) who works at Lakland Basses had everything I needed...cheap.
    I got a set of Hipshot Ultralites for $25. A Badass bridge for $40, and a set of EMG Jazz pickups with complete harness for $40.
    When the body comes I want to paint it to match my 2006 Chevy HHR, which is Sunburst Orange Metallic. May do matching headstock. Not sure yet.
    I will post pictures of the progress