Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I just switched from DiMarzio Ultrajazz to Seymour Duncan SJB5 pickups on my Moon JB5 Bass(w/ aguilar OBP3).I played two gigs this weekend and I noticed that on one of those gigs I got a strong buzz which I could reduce by standing in a certain direction.I played that same room with the DiMarzios last year and I had no buzz.Both pickups are humbucking yet the diMarzios seem to be quieter.I do like the sound of the Basslines much better, so I want to keep them on the bass if I can.How can it be that the Basslines buzz and the DiMarzios don't, even though they are both humbuckers.I had the basslines shielded in copperfoil, used high end shielded wire and the groung is connected correctly.Here at my house on my recording setup the bass is dead quiet and on the second gig this weekend it was also quiet.The room that was buzzing was an old Eagles club and the sound system was funky to begin with .Maybe it was just the electrical in the room?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hum and interference are affected by variables in the environmnet, not just the pups/equipment. Adjacent power lines, whatever. Older buildings aren't grounded properly - and neither are some newer ones where the outlet is jeri-rigged or condition has deteriorated. Many houses in the 70's had aluminum wire (which is notorious for corrosion) installed. Don't think it was commercially though. That's why you need to change location to rule it out as a factor before you go selling off pups/tear into your equipment.

Fuzz busters and microwaves, living in a material world.