Jazz Camp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bassopotumus, Apr 4, 2004.

1. bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    Hey I'm looking for a good jazz camp that has good bass instructors. Does anyone have a preference for a jazz camp? I'm planning to go this summer, so if anyone has some suggestions, that would be great!
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    There are some great ones at the Indianhead Arts Center, which is in the tiny rural Northern Wisconsin town of Shell Lake. Practice your intonation to the sound of gigantic mosquitoes! I went there a few times in high school, 100,000 years ago. And just look at me now....
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  4. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Pacman and I can both speak to Lynn Seaton's jazz bass camp at UNT. Well worth attending at any level.

5. I'm driving up for Day 2 on Saturday. The age limit for participants is 18, but the coordinators said they welcome "observers." I'm hoping to pick up some teaching techniques and hopefully some playing techniques too (and maybe play a couple of basses!).
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    POT O'BASIE MESS - are you ready to travel the globe? Are you looking for something close to home? Where is home, you don't have anything posted in your profile (it would be helpful)?

Talk to DURRL (Chris Fitzgerald) bout the Aebersold camps, he does a lot of work for them. Bud Shank does a camp up in Port Townsend WA. There is a camp in Vermont that used to be run by Attilla Zoller.

If I'm not mistaken both DOWNBEAT and JAZZ TIMES both publish an issue each spring with jazz camps listed by region, maybe you wnat to check a back issue for last year's?
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Last I heard, Rufus was going to be with us for both weeks of the camp this year - always a treat!