Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz cats

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LAW, Aug 9, 2005.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Hi all,
    Can anyone suggest some good recordings in the swing jazz or be-bop jazz style of play. I just started Ed Friedland's "Walking" book and I want to see what kind of potential there is to it.
    Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Peace and Chicken grease.

2. Man...where to start...get some recordings by Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, Modern Jazz Quartet, Thelonius Monk, Dizzie Gillespie, Oscar Peterson, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea. Some of the best jazz bassists worked with these artists, and these artists had some of the best rhythm sections in jazz/bebop. The list is really endless, you'll start deciding who you like or dislike, but you can't really go wrong with any of these. At least you'll hear how straight ahead jazz is supposed to sound like, and it will be played by the people who pioneered the way for all of the current artists.

3. awwww....... for cryin' out loud man! You forgot Mingus... you know.... Ah, Um, Charles Mingus ! :D

Seriously though, you pretty much covered it.

............Jim

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Hi, anything with Rob Carter (1967 and before), Ray Brown, NHOP, Paul Chambers, Mingus.....

I would suggest starting with the Oscar Peterson group (Ray Brown---bassist) perhaps the album "we take requests"...

There are other bassists like Mingus, Charlie Haden, Scott LaFaro, Dave Hollland etc....

but these guys were mostly after bebop and bop, and did parts that did not have so much pure walking.....they were more what you might consider "innovators" who were tired of walking, so they broke it up with a lot of Latin style bass parts...cool, but if you want walking parts......

For that, you got to go with Ray Brown!

5. Did you mean Ron Carter?

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I saw Ron Carter with Russ Malone at the Blue Note in NY last summer.He still plays great. Check out Eddie Gomez,any Bill Evans albums and Paul Chambers, Sam Jones, Scotty LaFaro( portraits & Jazz),Charlie Haden,Stan Clarke with Chic (Echos of an era)
    and http://cdbaby.com/cd/landsgaard for some 7 string walking(lol)

7. Get Ray Brown - Live at Starbucks

Great tunes on it, great quality recording, and I think Ray shines on here.. Play close attention to how deep 2 & 4 is..It like he drops a brick on the strings when he plays 2 & 4.. Ray always swings hard..

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Ray Brown's walking is a thing of beauty.

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Love Ray Brown for small combo!! Also check out Chubby Jackson in Woody's Herds to hear a guy walk a big band into orbit! Killer diller!