Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz CDs to recommend.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys, Im off to borders in about 2 hours and am looking to pick up a jazz cd which has nice jazz bass licks. Anybody has any recommendations?If its possible could you recommend a jazz cd that is pretty good for a jazz newbie(punkrock convert..lol)...something which is reachable for me as a bassist just starting on the jazz ends of things.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!! Cheers!

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What kind of Jazz are you looking for? Are you looking for something with Bass Guitar, rather than Double Bass?

If so, I would suggest something like Head Hunters or Thrust by Herbie Hancock - they've both got Paul Jackson on bass. Also, Heavy Weather or Black Market by Weather Report - they've both got Jaco on bass (need I say more?). But these examples are not straight Jazz - the Herbie Hancock ones are Jazz/Funk - basically Jazz in a funk setting, w/ electric instruments rather than acoustic. The Weather Report ones are more the fusion side of things - again with mainly electric instruments. But all 4 of those albums have great bass playing. Paul Jackson really gets funky, while Jaco, well, is Jaco!

If you're looking for straight Jazz, Kinda Blue by Miles Davis is great.

EDIT: Just noticed, this is my 1000th post!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Moley's recommendation are all ones I have, but I'm not sure they entirely fit your criteria - so if you mean that you might want to try playing some of these lines on bass guitar (as this is what is on your profile) and that you are coming from the "rock" end of Jazz - I would say :

Billy Cobham : "Spectrum"

It has some nice bass licks - which are also very simple and easy to play - well some of them are! Most Jazz bass lines are not easy for newbies to play, but I'm sure most people could pick up some of the lines on this album quickly.

And it is Jazz ....fusion! Actually a couple of the track with Ron Carter on bass are close to straight ahead Jazz - but the "rocky" ones with Leland Sklar are the simple catchy ones that anybody could play.

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey thanks guys for the suggestions. I have about an hour to spare so anymore suggestions are very much welcome.

Yes I intend to try out the stuff with a four stringer and am looking for the simpler side of jazz...the type of basslines which are easy to start on but at the same time doesnt lose the appeal of jazz. I'm not sure about the many branches of jazz music..funk and so on but just to give you an idea..I like everything rock(punkrock, alternative, grunge)..So as you guys can pretty much figure out..I like my music to rock but at the same time carry catchy, groovy tunes...

I hope that would give you guys an idea of what Im looking for!

Thanks guys...talkbass.com forumites are one of the nicest people in the world!

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh, well if you're looking for something simple you can play, ignore my suggestions!

Well, perhaps not ignore them... the 5 albums I mentioned are all classics, very much worth getting, at some point.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How about going for a compilation album - even something out of the bargain bin? If you've not got much in the way of reference points, this would be a relatively inexpensive way of 'scoping out the land'. Get a couple of jazz histories out of the library as well and find out some background on the artists represented. Having done this research, you'll then be in a better position to know what you would like to hear some more of.

I'd also recommend getting an ear for a range of instruments rather than just focussing on the bass - the most effective playing in a jazz context (any instrument, including bass) comes from listening and working with the whole ensemble.

Another approach is to see if they have a knowledgable member of staff on hand - ask for suggestions in the shop and, ideally, get them to play a few tracks for you (make them earn their profits ;) )

Happy shopping...

Wulf

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Borders have these cd playing equipments...like you can grab hold of any cd and scan it on these equipments and itll play the cd though for about 20 to 30 seconds for each song. Maybe ill try that...definitely maybe! Thanks

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    Any time a "Punk Rock" fan asks for something at Jazz Corner...the regulars there usually suggest something in the Free Jazz realm(raw, frenzied, energized, etc).
    Example: The David S. Ware Quartet has opened for Sonic Youth.

If you are indeed looking for "Jazz"/Fusion with electric bassists-
    The Jaco & Paul Jackson stuff is on high on my list...so, too are things with Gary Willis, Stanley Clarke, Will Lee, Tommy Kennedy, Jimmy Johnson, Victor Bailey, etc.
    None are very easy to play...at least for me.

I wouldn't bank on the staff being very knowledgable...unless you're really lucky!

9. Well, I don't know if any jazz album would have tunes that would be easy for the jazz newbie to play, but if you're just starting a jazz collection, I'd have to suggest the album Take Five by Dave Brubeck. IMO the best jazz album ever recorded.

I think learning blues would be a good way to start to become familiar with jazz, as there's always some limited and easy walking in the bass lines....

10. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    The album is actually called Time Out.

11. yeah, what he said. (I'm now doing the Chris Farley "I'm so stupid" bit and slapping my forehead).

Take Five is the most well known track on Time Out, perhaps......

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So.... whaddya get? :)

Wulf

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Cone41, I'd love to know what you bought and what you thought of it. Jazz is such a broad field with an amazing spectrum of styles, even by the very same players. For example, I tremendously enjoy "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis but don't care for some of his other work. I feel the same about Pat Metheny. Some of his albums I've played over and over. Others, I've played only once.

Even if you are disappointed in what you do buy, please don't give up on jazz. As I said earlier, jazz is such a multi-faceted genre that it offers something for almost everyone. It just takes some experimentation to discover what kind of jazz pleases you.

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Ahh guys. Sorry for the late response. I ended up listening to most of the jazz cds there, in borders. I really like Weather Report(duh) alot!

I was about to get Black Market which was suggested by Moley but I ended up buying the BP magazine. I'll just cd write Black Market off my computer.

Thanks for the help guys.