Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozbass, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey All
    Ever since playing a friend's Vintage '68 Jazz, I've been looking to add one to my gear list. It played so effortlessly, sounded very smooth and the neck felt just right...

I stupidly missed out on a mint '72 Jazz recently. It was probably a bargain, but I dallied around worrying about spending so much on a 33 yr old bass, and someone grabbed it.

My question is;
    Do you think I would get the same feel frome one of the great Jazz "copies" that are around..... I'm thinking Sadowsky / Lakland etc.

I crave that jazz neck but I'm not sure if the hum from the single coils would bug me and I think I would like the versitility of playing either passive or active without changing basses.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to try the above basses.
    I think a Sadowsky Vintage 4 may fit the bill spec wise.....or a Lakland Joe Osborne with the J retro pre amp.

Do these instruments have their own feel and signature sound....or are they close to a vintage late 60's early 70's Fender.

The feel/neck is important to me.....and I would like to have the Vintage jazz sound.....but with other modern sounds available too.

Any thoughts Guys n Gals

Cheers
    Oz

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a Lakland USA Joe Osborne (bought it used) with which I am more than pleased and I bought it instead of an old Jazz. I saved money over the price of an old Fender refin and got a better built bass in the bargain. Mike Lull also makes nice basses so those, too, are an option. Try one without an onboard preamp first and you might discover you won't need it.

Since I leave both pickups wide open the hum thing doesn't bother me and it wouldn't be heard in the mix anyway. If it bothers you enough hum-canceling pickups from Fralin, Nordstrand and others will take care of the problem.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I own a few Jazz basses

IMHO

I have a 73 J Maple w/ black block frets and taping
    a 75 reissue rosewood/pearl block frets which Fender has done a great job on...
    2 Sadowsky Jazz basses
    and a USA Lakland Jo Osborn

They are all great basses but the only one that "feels" vintage is the 73 Jazz.
    The reissue is a new bass and feels like one..it sounds great.
    The Sadowskys dont have a vintage feel but are great
    and as mentioned..
    the Osborn is a great new Jazz Bass that I use often..
    I have owned 2 Lulls and they are also great basses and a great value ..
    you can probably get a new J from Lull for under 2k..
    I think there is one on the Dudepit which is a beauty...

Since the vintage market is out of control you would probably be better off buying a new J from a private builder and break it in yourself...

4. Also check out the Lakland Darryl Jones, it is a very good Jazz substitute.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would have to agree with the above statements The Sadowsky and the Osborn necks don't feel "vintage" Necks definitely have their own feel. It depends what you want. I have a '77 with upgrades, including a leo quan, rio grande pickups and j-retro. Great sounding bass. I also have another with aero pickups. The '77 with the upgrades was cheaper than getting a Sadowsky with all the feel I wanted without compromise. This bass was not in perfect condition so the mods didn't effect the bass. I also just finished putting together another and it has a 60's style neck. For versatility you are better off with something like a Sadowsky or Lakland. For a vintage instrument... get a vintage instrument you

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Does my Lakland JO neck feel like a vintage Fender neck? No, because, among other things, the fretboard radius is different. Do I care? Again, no, I don't. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it; it's just a little different and I'm quite staisfied with it the way it is. Plays great.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Get a Lakland JO.

THen play it for 20 years or so. Then it will be vintage. :D :bag:

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

+1