Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz + Chrome Ashtrays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hella_Groovy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I just ordered an Agave Blue Jazz Bass, (On Back order! GAH! *_*) and I think I want to put the Chrome Bridge/pup covers on. Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or positioning hints are welcome. Also, I may swap out the pickguard for a white pearloid, but would that be too much? Maybe just One or the other?

2. try to find a pickguard with the holes for the cover already in them. that should help with position.

try this

3. as far as the bridge cover i'm not sure. (I am going to put a cover over the pup of my p and leave the bridge open 'cause I like to play close to it.) I'm certain somebody on this site can help you.

4. WD Music Products makes the white pearloid guards with the holes drilled for covers. They fit the mexi pickups too which is a BIG plus.

I put a pearloid cover on my agave and it's beautiful (but I also put on a maple neck with pearl inlays, so it matches)

5. YEAH! good point. I learned about those mexi-pups the hard way. I don't know why they are a different size seems couterintuitive to me

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Your mods sound fine, if it suits your taste. I have the neck pickup covers on two of my Jazz basses, and didn't bother with the bridge cover since I play near the bridge sometimes. The black pearl pickguard might also look cool on your bass color.

7. I just recently had to carve out an allparts pickguard for a MIM and nearly ruined the job with the ole Dremel. Doesn't take much for it to be TOO much!

I think they are a different size merely to confound the mods that we all want to do with Fenders. To discourage modding even, because they don't even sell pickguards that fit mexis, you need to go to another company. It's stupid, and fender is stupid for abandoning the ease in which it used to be to mod a Fender, I mean I always thought that was a big selling point, hello BOLT on BOLT off neck!

8. Seems like playing with the covers on makes for more consistant play as you're not jumping all over the place. I use my finger positions to vary my tones a lot, and that's probably not always a good thing. Good advice to tape them on somehow before committing to the drill, although what the hell, it's a Fender, drill it.

9. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Thanks all. I got the bass in, and I'm wondering, If I get the urge to start slappin, which this one seems to ask for, will these mods affect me? Or will I be ok with proper technique?

10. You'll notice a difference at first, mostly you're going to try a new hand position. The good thing about the neck pu cover is you can use it as an anchor for slapping.

11. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    One thing I noticed while trying out a Fender Japan '75 Jazz RI (red with matching headstock and both ashtrays!) is that you have to take the bridge cover off to change the strings! For some reason I thought they had holes at the end where the strings go through. Something to keep in mind. But the bridge cover with the big ol' F does look great, IMHO. Check this one out:

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/goods_detail.php?g_id=14509

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The nicest Jazz I ever saw was Sunburst w/ Gold Pickup and Bridge cover; gold Hardware.