1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Control Plates.........does anybody make a 5 hole version??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by g4string, Sep 28, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    All I can find is a 4 hole or 3 hole + jack........it would be nice to find a 5 hole plate........would the controls be too tight?? Thanks!!

2. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    I would think it would be pretty tight. Why not do stackable controls? Or, do you really want 5 separate controls?

3. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am not a fan of stacked controls.........but ya, I am thinking it might be a tad too tight

4. What is the difference between "4 hole" and "3 hole + jack"?

I have seen some Jazz basses with 5 hole plates, usually custom jobs.
    I wanted a 2 hole plate once, but I changed my mind about it.

I believe that TB member "J.D.B." offered to make me a blank plate that I could drill my own holes into, but I would have had to get it chrome plated elsewhere though.

I believe it was J.D.B., but this was a over a year ago, so I can't remember off hand.

It never hurts to PM him and ask.

5. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    The difference is me being a 'tard:rollno:;) Thanks for making me feel dumb. You are going to make my wife jealous as usually it is her job to make feel stupid.:)

6. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    i've never studied a plate as i havent got one for my build yet, but i've seen some pics where the jack hole looks slightly smaller than the others....am i crazy?

7. I've always seen ones with the three pot holes smaller than the output jack hole, but it's also plausible that you would see the pot holes being larger too.

It all depends on how big the shafts are on the pots.
    Some mini pots use very small shafts, and full sized pots usually use a larger shaft, but the output jack usually uses the same diameter shaft on all basses.

8. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    my bad, thats what i meant.