Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz copies with blank headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jan 8, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I saw one of these in a shop when i was looking for a thunderbird

they are basically jazz copies with blank headstocks and pickup covers. i didnt play it, i just had a quick glance at it (i was looking for something else)
    BUT now that ive seen these SX copies(which i cant find in the UK) im starting to wonder if the ones i saw were any good.

anyone had any experience with these?

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    With blank headstocks how can anyone have a clue which basses you are talking about. Did you happen to get an brand name for this nameless bass?

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    well i thought that there couldent be that many basses in shops out there with blank headstocks. :p as far as i could remember, i didnt see any sort of writing. it was hanging on a rack next to loads of other basses so i didnt see it very clearly.

it was quite cheap, and it looked like any old jazz copy, BUT it had pickup covers which i thought was quite weird. there were quite a few in the shop. there were some precisions aswell.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I own an SX Jazz which I believe is a good bass for the $100 I paid for it. It isn't as good as my USACG bass, but it didn't cost me $800 either. I've always believed that a bass is just like any other tool. If a musician likes the feel and sound of an instrument, it is a good instrument regardless of the name (or lack thereof) on the headstock. In the end, only you will know if one of these basses is right for you. :cool:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Could've been replacement necks, or have the headstocks sanded because they were stolen.

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Could be a warmoth parts bass, they don't put anything on their headstocks. Not very likely. I think tplyons is more likely to be right.

7. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    there were quite a few of these on ebay UK last year being sold by a seller called tech-mate

heres a lefty thats on the go just now

[​IMG]

i got the candy red/matching headstock P version for the start of my oldschool fretted P project

pretty good value really

bit heavy and the electronics are pants

i put my customary dimarzio dp122 into it and strung it with chromes and fitted my usual metal thumbrest over the end of the neck

then i stripped the overly tinted finish off the back of the neck and got a custom decal made for it - "Froover PeeBass"

i dont play much fretted but when im in the mood for some 60s soul tones it comes up with the goods

for about £100 theyre great beater basses once youve tweaked them a little

cheers
    Lucy

8. Or just because vanity. I´ve met couple of guys who sanded their headstocks because the didn´t want people to know how cheap their guitar/bass was.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    SX are called Jim Deacon in the UK