Jazz copy advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pantsman, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Hey all, while on a visit to a local music store I played a Monterey Jazz bass copy, Natural finish, Maple fretboard, looked very nice. I plan on using this as a project bass as it 'feels' perfect in my hands. The problems I have is once plugged in the only string that sounded good was the E, it had massive growl but the other 3 didn't, my questions is, would new strings, pickups, nut and bridge help even out all the strings?

Here's where I need some advice, what mods?! Graphite nut maybe?, BadassII seems the standard on a jbass and I have nfi on what pickups. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but please tell my why you suggest the mods, cause I am new to modding :D

Ohh I nearly forgot, the bass played pretty good and it hadn't even been set-up and its only AU$360!! (cheaper than a Squier)

Edit: if it helps I play mainly Hard Rock, old skool metal and hip-hop metal.
  2. Bump, i expected to get swamped with replies, everyone on TB loves expressing their opinion, maybe I should wait until i have the bass, photo's gets peoples mojo's goin'
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A set of strings and a full setup will make a dramatic difference. Do that first, then, after getting to know the instrument for a while, consider other changes.
  4. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I agree with philbiker on the strings. If it feels good in your hands, it probably means that the nut and bridge are set-up to your likeing. The pickup height may be causing the difference in the strings. Maybe their set too low on the G string side cause the difference in volume, but that's just a guess.

I'd see if the shop is willing to throw in a new set of strings, and maybe install them before you buy so you can test it.

If they really want to sell the bass, then a set of slinkies shouldn't be the end of the world for them.
  5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    A really good Set Up will make all the difference in the world. I have been playing for 25 years and have had every string known to man on my basses. A good set up makes all the difference. It is a good thing to have a new set of strings in the proper size for the set up. I like a .105 for my E string. I know others like a .100 or even smaller for the E string. So Figure a size then get the setup. Also, if you change sizes it canchange your setup.
  6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Start with the obvious like everybody else said. Then I would probably look at the bridge, then pickups and active electronics in that order. Setup can make a world of difference. Depending on how the pickups sound or what vibe you are going for I would look at either a vintage sounding pickup with Alnico V magnets or something like dimarzio or basslines depending on what you want to spend on the project.

Like most projects, this is going to get out of hand. It all depends on what you want to do....
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Yes Indeed :p
  8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've played alot of Montereys, the local place seems to get new ones all the time.

It's a pickup issue I think. Either that or the pickup height needs to be adjusted.

Monterey basses: I think they're a good value. I've only played one J-bass copy, and I wasn't so impressed with that one. But the first real bass I ever played was a Monterey dual soapbar "soundgear style" kind of bass. It was very nice, and one hunk of bass (it was ash, and very heavy!). I've also played their guitars, I thought their Les Paul copy was very well done.
  9. Sounds like good advice guys, set-up and strings first then check out what needs to be done. Changing the height of the pickup isn't an option, because the D and G are nearly touching the pickup! and they are still too quiet, so i am fairly sure the pickups have to go.