Jazz Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crested Radish, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Solid maple body in a Jazz bass? Interesting.
  2. yeah.. maple body, maple neck, maple fretboard.. that thing must have killer mids !
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Cool. If the price is right, I'd but it, or if you want a great quality instrument, you might consider assembling a Warmoth bass.
  4. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nice enough looking bass. Have you emailed about the price yet? And ask where its made! Seems like a lot of small dealers lately score deals with Korean manufactures to produce axes under the small dealers name. Hey, they may very well be good basses and guitars, but who knows?

I'd suggest looking into the Fender Geddy bass (made in Japan), however, I doubt it somes onto a lefty.

And btw, isn't that a lot of maple? Wouldn't you think its going to be a bit too bright in tonally and a back breaker weight-wise? In yr email, you might want to ask how much that puppy weighs!

5. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ok, I couldn't stop myself, I emailed the Geddy bass dealer. Here's what I asked:

How much?

Where is it made?

Does it come with case or gig bag? If not, how much?

Do you have other colors?

How much does it weigh?

How much is domestic shipping?

Ok, as soon as I hear anything, I'll let you folks know.

6. You are an impatient sole :)

I could have answered a couple of these for you but I was on my way home from work.

>>How much?

>>Where is it made?

>>Does it come with case or gig bag? If not, how much?
    Didn't ask

>>Do you have other colors?
    Didn't ask that either

>>How much does it weigh?
    It didn't really occur to me about the weight so I'd be interested about this also

>>How much is domestic shipping?

I'm in the UK so shipping is a whole pile of cash :-(
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oh, yr in the UK! Oh well. That shop with the Geddy bass emailed me right away. You've given most of this info above, but I've already copied it, so here you are again for yr reading pleasure:

The Dillion Geddy Lee Bass is $425 plus shipping.
    It's made in Korea. I only
    have it in black. It weighs about 8 lbs. A gig
    bag would add $30 to the
    price. UPS Ground Shipping would be $17.

Having surfed around a bit, I've found that these Dillion axes appear to be inexpensive Koren copies much like OLM or Jay Turser. They seem to make all the popular models: the Jazz copy, Les Paul, Strat, Paul Reed Smith, and so on. Probably not bad, but not likely anything that great and you probably could do better elsewhere price-wise.

Say, you have Mexican Fenders in the UK, how about a MIM lefty Jazz bass? It will not have the Geddy look (black inlays and such) but it will likely be a pretty good bass at a decent price.

8. Thanks for that.

I've never heard of dillion and was curious as I've always wanted a Fender Geddy but being a lefty there's no chance.

I currently play a MIA Precision Hotrod, and am considering a Jazz, I don't really understand the Fender policy (hardly any lefties and no maple fingerboards) either a MIM or a MIA deluxe (active) and I don't really want an active bass.

I would be interested in an opinion on how much better a MIA is over a MIM, although it's probably been discussed here before.

I guess being a lefty is just a little up from being an alien, I just hope the men in black don;t come knocking:D
  9. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oy! The old MIM vs MIA Fender debate. You've opened a can of worms.

Obviously the US models fair better on all levels especially now that they've revamped their quality control on their domestic stuff (my experiences with the old American Standard Series has be from good to awful!). However, the MIM do have quite a bang for the buck thing going for itself.

For the last couple of years, MIM construction seems pretty good as far as I can tell. The components, however, aren't up there as their US counterparts. Bodies tend to be popular or basswood depending on model (some of the MIM vintage reissues may actually use alder and ash, but these models are a little more expensive). The MIA of course stick primarily with alder and ash and now they've gotten a few exotic woods on their higher end axes too.

MIA seems to have better hardware and pickups (I'm very curious about their new Noiless single coils on their deluxe models). However, construction-wise, the MIMs seem great. You could buy a lefty fairly inexpensively. Then as time and money allows, you could easily replace pickups, the bridge, and tuners (though I don't think the latter is really necessary). I mean, if Fender is yr thing, you must have a lefty, and yr don't have over a thousand US dollars to blow, then I think MIM is the way to go.

Now if it doesn't have to be a Fender or Fender type, then I'd look over to Korea and Taiwan for something. The Ibanez BTM, Schecter Stiletto, Yamaha BB Series, MTD Kingston, Dean Edge, and so on and so on have some damn good products with high-end features and amazing prices. They're so good, in fact, I figure if yr not getting a real MIA Fender, why both with a copy? For the same money you could get much more from Asia. IMHO

10. It's not the fact that the MIA deluxe is expensive ( £1200.00 over here by the way) , I want a passive and the idea of buying an American deluxe and removing the electronics to put some passives in strikes me as a ludicrous waste of money.

What I really want is a Made in America Passive Jazz.

I have been looking around at other basses but there really is a problem getting lefty models of a lot of kit.

Many thanks for your input. I have been looking around the forums and am doing some reasearch into what upgrades I'd add to a MIM if I buy one.
  11. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wait a min! The new American Series Jazz MUST have a lefty and it is passive. And you might even score an older American Standard series lefty Jazz for a few hundred (pounds?) less.

12. No Lefty in the American series unfortunately - that is what I cannot understand.

Given the choice I would always prefer to buy new, but I guess It's worth a look.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll bet. My Pedulla Rapture J2 is all maple, and it has killer mids and growl.
  14. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    What about a local builder? Ever heard of Jon Shuker? He builds a jazz bass model, which I plan purchasing myself some day. Looks fine, and it's very reasonably priced. I'm sure he would do a lefty. You'd also get it for less than what a MIA would cost you, I think.

15. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, I read yr (UK) Guitar and Guitarist mags. You've got some great builders over there; must your left bass be a Fender? I wish I had that one mag handy, there is a UK builder that has this great Jazz style bass that was goregous; it was from a couple of years back. I'm checking their site and get back to you. What a nice bass! I don't know what kind of money yr willing to lay down. I'm sure Wal and Status have lefties.
  16. Could be a bit of research is in order.

Status make lovely basses - all active though.