Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Deluxe bass neck!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Sep 26, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I have a U.S. 1999 Fender Jazz Deluxe 4 string bass, and i want to improve the neck on it. Is it possible to apply a paint/wax to the back of the neck to give the neck more slide? (speed)

Thanks.

P.S. The Fenders 1999 Trans Purple stain looks just like Crimson red Trans!!!!

P.S. Someone give me some feedback on the 1999 jazz Deluxe bass? i like it!!!

2. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    I have one and i stained the neck and when i applied some stain to the back of the neck, it got really really smoot your thumb slides right up and down without sticking. thats about all i know to make the neck smoother.

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, What kind of stain did u use? did u apply it to the neck yourself? tell me more my good man!!!!

4. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    i used like honey chestnut if i recall which i borrowed from a friend. i did stain it all myself. i put tape the rosewood fretboard so it wouldnt stain any of it but it makes it alot smoother.

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Shave your neck my son... Then apply some Tung Oil (5 coats) then buff her real good... Slide o Matic... Good stuff... get 600 grit sand paper and one of thoughs green dish scrub pads...

Alex

6. What is it about shaving the neck on your bass? I've been seeing that recently, and I don't think I understand it. I've been playing for nearly 8 years, and have worked as a bass tech in a cuople shops, and I've still never heard of "shaving your neck."

Get some 400 grit and some 600 grit sandpaper, sand any finish off, then apply the stain.

**wanders off scratching his head "shaving your bass neck? **

7. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    try minwax paste wax, or butchers wax...same stuff they use on bowling alleys.

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    My roadstar had like the nastiest finish... it would get all sticky.... and my had would skip down the neck, so on occation I would hit the wrong fret... So I had my friend that is a luthier do it up for me... now she is a sweeeeet runnin machine.... I can slide up and down the neck lighning fast.... man that sounded waaaaay to erotic...

Alex :p