Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz duet: Piano and Bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    First, is it possible? And if so what would be some good tunes to play? Also we'd both be doing a lot of soloing and I'd also have a big part of melody right? I mean it is a duet so...

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    1)Is it possible?
    ...Why not?
    There's a must-have album with Ellington & Blanton...bass/piano duet par excellence! ;)

2)IMO, the bass does NOT have to carry the melody while the other is soloing. The other instrument is a piano/keyboard, right? The guy has TWO hands, right? The pianist can carry the melody while soloing OR he can carry the chords while soloing...YOU can do whatever! ;)
    Then again, the bass can play melody...it's YOUR call! ;)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I have an excellent CD with Harry Pickens and Chris Fitzgerald which definitely confirms that you can have piano and bass duets, and that they can kick a**.

4. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    its not bass guitar...but im doing a solo on upright bass with a piano. henry eccles' sonata for bass. but i think one could be written for EB too.

5. Dave Young - Two By Two (volumes 1&2)

just heaven

6. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    It certainly is possible, and can be a great combination. Just look at the Bill Evans/Eddie Gomez album "Intuition." That's some thick stuff right there. Evans and Gomez at their peak with challenging tunes... It doesn't get much better. As long as each of you is conscious of the texture you're both creating, and evaluating what your role should be at a given time, you'll sound fine. Duo playing is also an excellent way to sharpen your time and distill your ideas down. It also exposes flaws in your playing that you can correct. I know it certainly did for me.

Just as a side note..... are you playing electric or upright? It can work with electric, but will sound best with upright, IMHO.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You want to hear a great bass guitar-piano duet? Listen to "Boulevard of Dreams" off of Tony Levin's "Waters of Eden."

Another good one is Michael Manrings "On a Day of Many Angels."

8. Don't you mean "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"?

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Nope. Ain't nothing broken about that song!

10. There is also a VOL. 3

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Aw shucks, NOSEBLOW, you're making me blush...No, really.....GO ON. :D

I also have the Dave Young stuff, and it's really good. There's also a great record called "Night and the City" with Kenny Barron and Charlie Haden, another (my memory fails me) with Michael Moore with Bill Charlap, another with Red Mitchell and Roger Kellaway (sp?),...the list goes on. A lot of great stuff out there. That's a really fun and REALLY challenging format to play in.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    IF you want examples of electric bass/piano duets, I have a great Carla Bley/Steve Swallow album. He does some nice work on the Parker bass.

Of course, the name of the album is escaping me, so I'm only marginally useful.

13. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Check out the albums by Tommy Flanagan on piano and George Mraz on double bass. I think they made about three CDs together. Apart from being a great listen, it's all excellent learning material, since Mraz is a great player and you can hear his basslines really well without all the background noise (read: drums, horns, etc:D ).
    Other combinations that come to mind: Bill Lyles on piano with Tim Drummond on bass, and Ray Brown has also recorded with only pianists.

14. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    :eek: OOPS!!! Of course, you're right... I was just too lazy to check my record collection to confirm the pianist's name. I have no excuse for mistaking Ray Drummond's name...

15. .... and (was it) Hank Jones (??) on "Steal Away" a jazz/gospel album.

16. Check out George Shearing / Brian Torff - "Lullaby of Birdland - Blues Alley Jazz / On A Clear Day" - on Concord Jazz CCD2-4927-2 (I got mine from cdnow.com)

- Wil

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Here are a couple slightly more obscure ones, which may even be out of print but are worth looking for:

Walter Norris and Aladar Pege, "Synchronicity"

Michel Petrucciani and Ron McClure (underrated bassist, IMO), forget the name

Charlie Haden and Hampton Hawes, "As Long As There's Music"

18. :confused: how come i haven't seen it? who's on it?

19. Vol 3 contains Dave playing one more track with each of the featured pianists from Vol 1 & 2. (11 tracks total) I bought the sessions about four years ago at HMV. This set is called "The Complete Sessions" It also contains a Justin Time sampler CD that I haven't listened to. The set as a whole was way cheaper than buying them separately. I payed about $30 CAN for it!

20. kovivo

kovivo

May 18, 2012
    This was an experiment of mine :)