1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Ensemble & Recording, Need Head Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have a Peavey 210TVX at home that I'm going to use for recording double-tracked bass (DI to the preamp and mic'd cab) plus I am playing in a jazz ensemble doing jazz standards with sax, guitar, piano, elec drums and I need a quiet, refined, hi-fi-type of sound. I also want to get a head that doesn't have a fan, or that can turn the fan off. I'll be using a combination of guitars (MIJ Jazz fretless, MIA Precision for the jazz combo).

I've been thinking of picking up a used SWR Studio 220 or maybe a 350 / 350X. It's been suggested that I just get a couple of really long cords and use my current amps (Peavey Nitrobass / Ampeg SVT III Pro) that have noisy fans but I'm not into a bunch of set-up and gymnastics every time I get the itch to record. I want to be able to go down to my basement, turn everything on and go.

Another idea I had was to trade in the Nitrobass on an Eden NA650. Not only does its fan not come on when played at low volumes, it will push 2 ohms and I can use it to power my 2 4ohm cabs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Any opinions? I've always thought TB'ers were pretty opinionated.:)

3. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    people seem to like those thunderfunk heads

4. I'd suggest you consider EA or Acoustic Image over SWR. Just my taste (I own an EA iAmp 500).

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Yes, a EA IAMP 350 was suggested in another off-forum discussion I had. Any others?

6. If you like "hi-fi" (however one defines that much-abused word), you might look at the Carvin B800, which is the younger sibling of the B1500 (which I and a few others here own and like). I haven't personally played the B800, but if it sounds anything like my B1500, it should have a clean, clear, extended tonal response without blatant humps or scoops.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=B800&CID=BRX

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Another recommendation for the iAmp heads. They are fanless, so they'll be extra quiet for studio work. Plus they have an extremely flexible eq, but sound great flat as well. Plus the iAmp 500 and 800 both handle 2 ohm loads, as you mention.

That being said, I do also love Eden and Nemesis sounds, for electric bass. It's a little more colored than the EA gear, but colored in a nice way, to my ears. I find the EA stuff more 'transparent', though, if that's important to me. Also, in my mind, the EA is way better for doubling on upright, if that happens to be a concern (I doubt it, as I don't see it mentioned, but thought I would throw that out there ...).

Good luck,
    Liam

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Good to know but I'm plenty challenged enough right now with my MIJ Jazz fretless without lines.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The price is extremely attractive ($429) for what you get.

10. 1stOfficerRiker

1stOfficerRiker Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Try out a Super Redhead 2x10 combo, it has a fan off switch, plus great DI, tube preamp. I really like the SWR Aural Enhancer circuit. I use mine for my main amp for gigs (with extension cab), and recording. Don't have anything to complain about.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Is the 350 Redface / 350 / 350x the same electronics?

12. appler

appler Guest

While I can't comment on its recorded sound, I've used my Acoustic Image Clarus several times in a jazz setting with bass guitar and it worked perfectly. It's very neutral-sounding (as in flat EQ) but still has a hint of warmth. You should pay close attention to the cabinet you use to record with as well.

13. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I have an early SWR Basic 350 (Redface)and yes, I believe it was the same electronics that were in the Redhead at that time.

While I really love the sound of the Basic 350, it does not have a fan switch. In live playing it's not bad but I can see where it could be an issue in the studio.

LeonD