Jazz experts, some help on Coltrane please!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by knight, Feb 4, 2004.

1. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I'm listening to Coltrane's "My favorite things" as i write this and I must say it's one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever heard.

I prefer this to earlier work like Giant steps, for example, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend some jazz in the same vein (faster tempos, 3/4 or 6/8, weird scales thrown in, and so forth) either from Coltrane or others you can think of.

2. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    I'll have to dig it out (cause I can't remember the title), it might be called COLTRANE, but it has tunes like INCHWORM and TUNJI on it. You may also enjoy AFTER THE RAIN or ALABAMA, they aren't fast but they have that same "open" vibe without being like ASCENSION...
  3. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Knight, definitely check out "Crescent" where Trane really starts into his "devotional / exalted" phase and "A Love Supreme" where it reaches full bloom. There is plenty of open, modal treatments and the band enters such rare air together .... absolute must haves if you're checking out Trane.

4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Coltrane also did "Greensleeves" & "Afro-Blue"...also in 3/4 or 6/8. ;)
    There's a few LIVE versions of 'Trane's "My Favorite Things" out there, too.
    Newport '63
    Afro Blue Impressions...on the Pablo label. Kinda weird.
    New Thing At Newport
    Live In Japan

From the few bios I've read about 'Trane-
    He preferred 4/4 over 3 & odd times.
    He did like exotic scales...his soprano playing evokes a hue of India.

Bear in mind that Coltrane, like Miles, had various periods.
    Blues to Ballads to Bop to Modal to "In" to Quartets to Big Bands to Duets to Experimental to Free/"Out" to New Thing, etc.

Some personal highlights-
    A Love Supreme...beautiful piece of work.
    Ascension...large band playing Free(if you like Ornette's Free Jazz, you'll love this one).
    Coltrane..."The Blue Album". Nice job on "Out Of This World"
    Impressions...Coltrane & Eric Dolphy.
    Transition...the solo on the title tune will Rock yer world.
    Mediatations...Coltane & Pharoah Sanders gettin' noizy.
    Interstellar Space...a duet between Coltrane & drummer Rashied Ali. Music that sounds like stars exploding in Space. Yes, I know there's no sound in Space. ;)
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think Jim's covered the Coltrane stuff!!

How about Michael Brecker's solo stuff - he recently did an album of standards which was rated very highly and was compared to Coltrane doing things like "My Favourite Things" ?

McCoy Tyner's solo output might be another way to go - like "The Real McCoy" - there are Joe Henderson albums as well that cover similar ground - my favourite is "Page One " although that is more originals - there may be others more focused on standards if that's what you want....?
  6. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks Peter, Tony, and Jim for your recommendations! I think I'll look up Crescent and A love supreme to start with.

Bruce: I just noticed your post. I used not to like Brecker so much, but I'll check out this album you mention. And yes, McCoy Tyner is amazing on that track, and I'll definitely look up his solo work.

Thanks again for the suggestions! Keep them coming if you have more...

7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Brecker on the Three Quartets album(w/ Corea, Gomez, & Gadd; similiar to Brecker's other band of that era, Steps Ahead...but on high octane). There's tributes to Coltrane & Ellington on Three Quartets...both are smokin'.

Tyner's albums in a Coltrane vibe-
    Focal Point

...very energetic playing.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Current bands you may like w/ "odd times & exotic scales"-

Dave Holland Quintet
    Points Of View
    Prime Directive
    Extended Play: Live At Birdland

Ben Allison
    Seven Arrows
    Medicine Wheel
    Ride The Nuclear Tiger
    Peace Pipe
  9. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks again Jim! you seem to know your jazz. Basically I don't so much like Ascension (or "free jazz"), but I prefer the intermediate stage that I feel "my favourite things" is at. I believe early '60s Coltrane might be the ticket. I'll definitely look up Dave Holland and Ben Allison too. Thanks again, and if you (or anyone) can think of anything else, I'm always open to listen to more stuff!