Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz fans, ever hear of....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Bud Powell? Wow I just found him via pandora.com. I can't stop listening.His style of playing is so.......bouncy.I dunno, Im thinking its like block chords instead of stride or something, Im not much of a piano player so I don't really know. Can anyone explain? This guy isn't like any of the other Bebop pianists....except maybe Monk. Most of the stuff I've heard has been off of a comp, but i wanna get some albums, any suggestions on which are best.

Also , anybody ever hear of Red Garland, I just heard his "Almost like being in Love". This guy is crazy!

Are there any more "hidden gems" like these guys that I gotta find.

I had heard Powell's name before, Im currently reading Miles Davis' AutoBio and he mentioned him. But Wow, I gotta hear more.

Gracias and get me on some more of this good stuff !

And a thank you to whoever posted that Pandora.com first anyway.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"In Walked Bud".....? ;)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Powell's story is as sad as Monk's.

There is a Powell bio out there...I used to thumb thru it at B&N a few years back. Tragic.

Powell is an originator. No Powell, no Chick Corea?

Red Garland also played in Miles' "1st Great 5-tet", right(Miles-'Trane-Philly Joe-PC-Garland). I'm thinking Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin', etc.

4. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    He plays on a stan getz album called "Opus De Bop" or something similar, great album.

5. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Red and Powell are by no means hidden. Check out Un Poco Loco by Bud as well as the albums The Genius of Bud Powell and The Scene Changes.

The first pianist I was truly shocked to discover until recently was Ahmad Jamal. I can't believe I went so long without knowing who he is; check out The Awakening.

Peace

6. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you like Bud, check out Art Tatum who, if I'm not mistaken, was a major influence on Powell.