Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Fest + Ritter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jul 10, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well I went to the jazz fest tonight to see Pat Metheny and before we went into the little mall thing right beside the stage and there were little kiosques set up with instruments and stuff. Well I looked into one and on the wall is a frosted black Ritter (Roya5 I believe) with birdseye fingerboard and largebuck pickups, the one that used to be on the site. Right next toit and MTD 535. all I could say was wow. THe RItter took my breath and I was so angry I had chosen to leave my camera alone. I decided to not play the Ritter (even though the clerk offered me to) I had sticky / greasy hands and I just couldnt pull myself together to convince myself I deserved to play that (and surely embarass myself with it) unfortunately it was probably the first/last chance I'll get :p Anyways it could have been mine for $4700 CAD (same price as the MTD 535) I was wondering if any else maybe got to see it and even give it a try? There was a KSD, a bunch of fancy Warwanks (unfortunately no $$ so I didnt bother to play any) A Bongo5, a Godin fretless acoustic (which I would have tried but the Godin booth was PACKED), a fender jazz and thats about it...

By the way the booth with the MTD & Ritter was from a store in Toronto called revolution music or somethign of the likes. Jens will be in the store next week for all you Torontonians who want to drop by.

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    you mean im' in montreal for the jazz fest and i missed this bass kiosk thing??

oh well. i got to play a nice fretless-5 Alembic something or other at Steve's.

tomorrow i am going to quebec city...are there any good music shops i should check out while im there?

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I wouldn't know I've only been to Quebec City once and it was in my non bassing days :p It was on the bottom floor of a kind of shopping mall complex beside the GM stage, there were a bunch of various booths and jam stations set up, kinda like an extremely downscaled NAMM.

What shows did you see? Unfortunately I was on vacation for the 4 I wanted to see....

Medeski, Martin & Wood
    Hiromi
    Bela Fleck w/ Stanley CLarke and I forget who
    Dave Holland Big Band

I'm super bummed about missin mmw& Hiromi especially...

4. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Ritters are beautiful!

You should have asked if you could wash your hands.

You missed on playing one ;)

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I played that Ritter. The fingerboard was unbelievable, but I think I liked the MTD more.

Oh, and I saw Dave Holland :D ...and Steve Swallow :D :D

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I only got to Montréal on Friday, so I missed all of those guys. I did see, however, artist of the year, some electronic funk/rock band. they were a little boring to me but everyone else loved them. I also saw a great trio at Macao on St-Denis. I'm not sure but I think their name was Mango High or something.

Last night, I saw John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers at the big stage in Québec City. They were good!

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I stroked the fingerboard. It felt like sex. The fret work was of that hizzoook!

could they electro band your talking about be Kobayashi? played saturday night at 8 and 10. There was a guy on EUB 2 horns, some girl singer who kinda sounded like the BEP girl and wasnt very good when she forced it...I saw a bit of their set and didn't dig it much.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I only played the (immitation fender) jazz (quite marcus miller-like), I thought I'd look stupid trying to play a 5 string with 10 knobs and 4 switches since I'm not used to that. I also played the hollow-body red (immitation gibson) guitar. I haven't played a guitar in more than a year.

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    did anyone play the fretless Godin? and Jazzin' sorry I misssed your performance, my boss forced me to work during the day :( I'm sure you nailed it though.

10. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    IIRC, that was a KSD.

11. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    Remind me not to date women from Montreal.

12. The Ritter's eq section takes a little to get used to; but once you find the sweet spot............youzaaaaaaaaaaaaah :D