Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Five String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunEvilSquirrel, Jul 3, 2004.

1. RunEvilSquirrel

RunEvilSquirrel

Jul 2, 2004
    Im looking at new basses and one that really caught me eye (big time) was a fender jazz 5 string. it was about $630 so it must have been the mexican(?) active. Does anyone have one? If you have one and it is a color other than the white or red, i'd like to see a pic. Also, how much do like them? It sounded totaly juicy at the store. Any problems anyone has had with them? Thanks a ton

2. It doesnt matter how we like them really. If you like it and it seems to be sturdy and plays and sounds well, then get it. Oh, and I played the 4 at the store, and all I have to say is that I will have that bass.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a USA Fender Passive Jazz V. I love it.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a red MIM deluxe active Jazz 5 string. It's a very nice instrument, plays well, sounds great and hasn't needed any adjustments since I first set it up.

Are you looking to buy one? I recently bought another J5 with a custom made neck and might be interested in selling mine.

If you're interested, please send me a PM or an email.

5. Yeah I have a MIA Jazz V that I received via trade with one of our TB bros and that is one outstanding instrument. It has a J-Retro so it's a little beefier then most, but the feel and playability are outstanding. Before I traded I was worried that it would have floppy B string disease (FBSD for those keeping score at home) but that was not the case. I would highly recommend one if others are anything like mine.
    Robert

6. Hey Y'all,
    I own a Deluxe Active 5 Jazz. It's a cool bass, I've expierenced for me, the action could have been lower. Brought it to the shop to get a good pro set up (Thank's Music Quest!!), and it feels pretty good. It's shimed up, and that helps. I've read from other people who own this model about the same neck issues. Sounds good, but could be better with a J Retro!! I'm goona put a passive on /off pot and use this thang with my Sadowsky pre amp pedal. It makes it sound even better that way!
    Bobbo 77'

7. i thought that was an operating system? :p

geek humor

8. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I tried out a couple of MIM Jazz 5's. I've never cared for Fender, but I was really trying to give them a chance. I just didn't take to them. I haven't played any of the higher-end Fenders though.

9. The MIM Actives sound really good, but feel is important. See if the construction is good and check the B string, but most importantly find out if the feel is good. If it plays nicely and you like the sound, go for it.

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    As far as active 5 string basses on a budget go, the MIM Fender active Jazz V has been the way to go, hands down....

UNTIL, the arival of the G&L Tribute L2005s. Same money, but more bass.

r

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

this isnt mine, but its a pic on the internet.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. I think you can get an MIA pretty reasonable. I've seen one here for as low as $550.

13. it weighs a ton :mad:

see if you find one w/ strings thru the body(it will cost more). the one i have is top load and the "b" NEVER sounded right so it wound up being a thumb rest.

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004