Jazz-Funk kind of thing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Starmo, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Starmo

Jul 15, 2004
    Raanana, Israel
    I've listened to Billy Cobham's "A Funky Thide Of Sings" and to Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters" and I really like them both.
    Can you recommend any other albums or artists similar to this style?

(the two albums are quite different but I think they both fall in the same category roughly.)
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I dont specifically know those albums, but for jazz-funk, some ones to check out are:

Medeski, Martin and Wood
    Curtis Mayfield (this one may be more along what your looking for)
    Skerik's Syncopated Taint Septet
    Garage a Trois
  3. john schofield
    chick corea electric band
    charlie hunter trio
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Scofield btw :)

Scofield also did a solo project with MMW called "A Go Go" thats incredible if you get a chance to check it out.

Charlie Hunter also plays in Garage a Trois.
  5. Check out Herbie Hancock's "Thrust".
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Billy Cobham has been on loads of albums, but as leader - Spectrum and Crosswinds are classics - the former, very funky in places.

Herbie was inspired on that album by funky R&B like Sly & the Family Stone - he also played on Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life" in a similar vein - a must-have album for Jazzy funk!! :)
  7. 2 aussie bands:
    DIG (directions in groove)

also check out some jamiroquai, he's a bit on the acid jazz side
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would put them in the same category('70s Fusion-Jazz-Funk).

Agree with Bruce...Cobham's other '70s albums are in a similar vibe.
    Agree with StretchCat's Thrust. Other Herbie albums from that era include Fat Albert Rotunda and Flood(basically, LIVE Headhunters).

I would also recommend Eddie Henderson's Sunburst(Henderson played in some of Herbie's '70s Funk-Jazz bands)...and some of the early Brecker Brothers' albums("Some Skunk Funk"; they may be a version of this on A Funky Thide Of Sings).

Something close are the '70s albums from The Crusaders(Images, Those Southern Knights, Free As The Wind) and Tom Scott & The L.A. Express(namely, Tomcat).

FWIW, Curtis Mayfield is excellent material; IMO, he does not fall under the '70s Fusion-Jazz-Funk umbrella.
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    yeah I guess he is more Soulish than Funk hehe

Someone else you might check out, allthough is more straight funk than the jazzy stuff listed here is The Meters or The Funky Meters. Might be right up your alley.
  10. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    I second that, DIG are hot.

Also check out anything by Incognito. Their first album was actually called 'jazz-funk'.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Incognito are great and I have many of their albums - but they are absolutely nothing like 1970s Billy Cobham and Headhunters!! ;)

Closer to Soul/R&B than the kind of Jazz Fusion of those artists.
  12. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002

Jazz fusion? Return to Forever
  13. Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    Donald Byrd - Black Byrd(but anything from him and Mizell)
    Jimmy Smith - Root Down
    The Crusaders - Southern Comfort
    Stanley Turrentine - Sugar
    Weather Report - Heavy Weather(but anything from them)
    Stanley Clarke - School Days(but anything from him)
    Hank Crawford - Wildflower
    Lou Donaldson - Alligator Boogaloo
    Grant Green - Alive
  14. check out the Brand New Heavies - 1st album is closest to that genre. Great stuff.
  15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  16. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor

Amazing album..one of the best Jazz/funk albums out there...I love it..ladies love it, you will love it..get it.
  17. Starmo

Jul 15, 2004
    Raanana, Israel
    Thanks, everyone.
    I've got alot of checking out to do. :D
  18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    billy cobham/george duke band- live on tour in europe
    herbie hancock-manchild
    weather report-talespinnin'

out of whats been recommended so far id look for herbie's thrust and and eddie henderson-sunburst. all of this is more in line with the two albums you mentioned in the first post.
  19. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Definately check out Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond, and Return to Forever - No Mystery. Both of these are hardcore funk-jazz-rock IMO.

BTW, Narud: Listening to "Lucky Charms" right now. Cool stuff, but your solo on Chambers is my favorite. Excellent! I want to come out and watch you guys play one of these days.