Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Fusion and Disco

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Superdave, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm on the lookout for some new Jazz/Funk Fusion, anyone have any recommendations?

By the way, what are some essential Disco tunes?

2. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats, Waka Jawaka

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow is some pretty funky fusion

Weather Report - stuff with Alphonso Johnson

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew can be funky at times

Steely Dan -Aja

as for Disco, look no further than Chic.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Eddie Henderson-Sunburst(w/ Alphonso Johnson on bass); this was recently re-issued on disc a couple years back. Oft-overlooked.
    Herbie Hancock-Thrust or Headhunters

Something more recent?
    Screaming Headless Torsos-1996(1st album) + Live At The Knitting Factory + the 2-DVD set(Most-see TV!)

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack-
    ..."You Should Be Dancing", "Jive Talking", "Disco Inferno", etc.

A Taste Of Honey-"Boogie Oogie Oogie"
    Tavares-"It Only Takes A Minute"
    Peter Brown-"Dance With Me"
    Johnny Taylor-"Disco Lady"
    Alicia Bridges-"I Love The Nightlife"
    Jacksons-"Shake Your Body Down To The Ground"

4. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I've got the Jeff Beck, I've got the SHT, the WR, and the Hancock. The others I'm going to need to check out.

Thanks for the recommendations!

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Oh heeeeell yes. That album is amazing. I'd also pick up The Royal Scam.

And if you're inclined toward the lighter side of the fusion spectrum, Spyro Gyra and The Rippingtons rock my world.

6. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Hard to say where fusion really started (like prog). Some say Bitches Brew, some say Hot Rats, some say Wheels of Fire. The most classic fusion cuts? That's easier. I would go for "Romantic Warrior" by Return to Forever, "Birds of Fire" by Mahavishnu Orchestra, and maybe "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report. Then get "Turn it Over" by Tony Williams Lifetime, "Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock, and you're just about set...lines blur here and it's kind of difficult to say what's fusion and what's not...For some backwards fusion (rock-jazz as opposed to jazz-rock) check out Blood Sweat & Tears self-titled album.
    Keep in mind that fusion was an international movement. For some unamerican activities, check out any Allan Holdsworth album, and there was an active Italian scene that produced some great stuff. If you can find it, check out "Geneologia" by Perigeo, and "Giro di Valzer per Domani" by Arti + Mestieri.
    For disco, get Blondie's greatest hits and the BeeGees greatest hits and you're set (don't forget Chic).

7. Not to speak of Pretzel Logic and Two against nature. Gashliting Abbey's got to got the most funky bassline ever! If you'd like to check out something funky, wich isn't really jazzy - Erykah Badu might be something. Her live album's got some supreme playing, although closer to soul.
    Also, I love Mike Sterns new "These Times." Great songwriting and stellar playing. Also Pat Methenys new cd "way up" is amazing. One of Methenys best, in my opinion.

8. +1000 on Metheny. Any of his stuff with the Group is pretty well fusion, albeit not in the orthodox sense of the word-- he and Lyle Mays can hold their own with classical composers.

Other fusion: how about Brand X (Phil Collins' "other" band)? Any of the bands from the Canterbury scene might float your boat too-- though these guys were mostly rockers dabbling in jazz, as opposed to jazzers dabbling in rock... Hatfield and the North, Egg, National Health, Bruford.

I never thought I'd be admitting to having listened to disco, so is it OK if I just say I listened and hated it?

Silver Convention - Fly Robin Fly
    Dr Buzzard - Cherchez la Femme
    Andrea True Connection - More More More
    Trammps - Disco Inferno (Burn Baby Burn)
    Weather Girls - It's Raining Men (co-written by Paul Shaffer no less!)
    Indeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life
    Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I can't call it disco but you should check out anything by Earth Wind and Fire

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Astral Pirates - Lenny White

Funky Town - Lipps Inc.
    :bag:

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I get your point-
    ...although their '70s stuff was played in discos(e.g. "Saturday Night").
    I heard "Serpentine Fire" today...FUN-KAY!

Another thing, though..."anything" by EW&F?
    The 1st couple records were coming outta a Sly & the Family Stone vibe; additionally, their interest in the Chicago Free Jazz scene is also apparent.
    Eventually, a female vocalist was added...then Philip Bailey; a more Pop approach with some edge resulted.

...and then David Foster came aboard as EW&F's producer/writer; very slick & not as happenin' as the earlier material, IMO. Foster pulled the same crap with AWB & Chicago(if interested).

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My vote is for Bitches Brew.
    Wheels Of Fire is a Rock/Blues band(Cream) 'jamming' with the energy of a Jazz Fusion band.
    Tony Williams Lifetime is usually considered the 1st Jazz Fusion group.
    Something related in the same time frame is John McLaughlin's Extrapolation...worth checking out, IMO.

Great Rock-Jazz album...also Chicago's debut album.

13. Well, Bitches Brew wasn't the first fusion recording. I believe Miles recorded something before that too. In a silent way, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong. ) But you know how popular Bitches was, it surely provided the breakthrough.

And if you haven't, check out anything Jaco. (not that everything is good.) His solos, the improvising artist cd, let's not forget the BIRTHDAY CONCERT. And his work with Joni. I actually dig Hejira, but Mingus is great as well. Also let's not forget the live recording Shadows and light.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't hear IASW as "Fusion"...but if you wanna go there, Filles de Kilimanjaro was even earlier.