Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz/fusion effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snarf, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    What kind of effects would you suggest to an electric jazz/fusion player? I assume reverb, maybe a little chorus? Can you suggest any brands? I think I'd like to keep it to rack units too.

Sorry if this has been done before, but I've never used bass effects before and I'm a real noob to them. Did a search, didn't come up with much.

2. jaco used reverb (a real heavy one) and fuzz/distortion, so theres a big endorsement for those effects...a good chorus is also nice in my experience

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jazz/Fusion always conjures up some sort of bass synth from time to time in my mind... I'm thinking Herbie Hancock, George Duke, YellowJackets, Fourplay, Pieces of A Dream , etc.

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    For the synthlike funkysounds I hook up three pedals.
    They are the Octabass, BassIQ and Unichorus... all of them EBS (as you probably understood).

In the next band we're going to make some stuff, related to the style you mentioned. With a Warwick Streamer Bass I recorded the following sound, please listen. It's very cool and I don't hear it a lot. A compressor could improve the triggering of alle pedals. I already sold the Warwick a while ago and bought a great Jazzbass (handmade by a great guy). This kinda sound now even sounds better! Way better! :hyper:

Hope this helps?

Synthesizer like sound

5. flangers are cool to have....

6. Now THAT sounds cool :cool:

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thank you, thank you, thank you... ;)

You know... it did cost me some time to challenge all the settings, but it's worth it imho.