Jazz/fusion fretless players???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by progplayer, Dec 31, 2001.

1. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Can Anyone out there suggest some good jazz fusion electric fretless bass players?

I'm looking for more work by Bunny Brunell but I can't seem to find anything. I have Kazume Wananabe Kilowatt but that album is a bit cheese and his bass sounds way too farty/midy!

I have all of Garry Willis' work....someone suggest someone new for me to study !!!!!!!
  2. Listen to some Jaco Pastorius, some Weather Report, Jaco has one crazy fusion form with his fretless
  3. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    hmmm, yeah already got the Jaco collection... anyone else????? Does anyone know the work of Bunny Brunell?
  4. yea i listen to bunny on occasion, he's good but i dont like to listen to tradition jazz, SOLO BASS! stella by starlight is a cool song.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yep, get Percy with Brand X (Mike Clarke was there, too). Also, Alphonso Johnson's solo work and Weather Report years are cool, too.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Alain Caron has some tasty stuff, too.
  7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Tony Levin - Waters of Eden

I can't say enough about this album. Very tastefully done.
  8. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    ahhh there's one, tony levin! i'm gonna check that one out. Keep those names coming, I'm gonna do some serious listening for 2002!!!!! hahahaha

happy new year folks.
  9. Richard Bona
    check the album Que Alegria from John Maclaughlin with
    Dominique Di Piazza and Kai Eckhardt
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Randy Tico.

Anyone remember this guy besides me?
    I only have two recordings with Tico...one is by a Big Band called Matrix(from the '70s, the album is called Harvest). If I recall, Matrix was very Fusion-y as far as big bands go. ;)
    Tico played a Fender P-J(I think it was a modified Precision bass)...one of the very first I had ever seen(pre-Mark Egan, even).

Jimmy Haslip is another guy that comes to mind...

Not sure, did Nico Assumpacao(RIP) play a fretless on Ricardo Silveiri's early Fusion recordings? He sounds very, very Jaco-esque(tone + chops).
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I remember Randy... and can't believe I didn't mention Bona.
  12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    bunny brunel is on a couple of chick corea's albums from the late 70's. secret agent and another one i cant remember.its nothing spectacular but its pretty good nontheless. i have the first cab cd. that ones pretty cool. the bass playing is a lot better than the 70's stuff. not quite as blatantly derivative of j.p.

alphonso johnson is also on allan holdsworth's velvet darkness album. that guy is tops. if you're into him check out the cobham duke band live in montreux cd as well.

a couple of albums i really like with a couple of different fretless bass players are pierre moerlen's version of gong with allan holdsworth. the bass player on gazuese is francis moze and the bass player on expresso II is hansford rowe. there's no bass playing on the level of gary willis but the albums are good.

also check out percy jones' band tunnels.

if you're only looking for a fretless bass player to study on an academic level on not on style than i think you're best bet is willis. i like listening to all the other players because most have a very personalized style(esp. percy and alphonso), but if you're looking to study a fretless player playing through changes you're already studying the right guy. ive got a video of tribal tech playing everything from giant steps to ewf's shining star. killer stuff.
  13. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Alain Caron is probably my favorite player that primarily uses fretless. Check out "Rythmn and Jazz" and "Play". I also like Dann Glenn and I also love Marcus Millers fretless work on his solo albums.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...damn, I forgot Bahkiti Kumalo.

Back in '70s Norfolk/Va. Beach-
    A guy named Rusty Springfield played a maple/maple neck Fender P fretless in a Fuson band(he looked like Bernie from Room 222) & was very happening!
    Last I had heard, Rusty was touring with the "Greatest Show On Earth".

Does Brunel also play on Corea's Tap Step album? If so, that would be a decent recording to check out(I think Eddie Gomez & Anthony Jackson may also be on it...I'll verify that later).
  15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the guy is asking for jazz fusion so i didnt mention bakithi for that reason.

tap step is the other album. the one with jackson and gomez is the leprechaun. on a side note, with the mention of gomez, i still cant understand why chick would have let eddie leave that take of humpty dumpty with his intonation being so bad on the head.
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Late 70's, here in Maryland, a kid named Manring was playing in a Fusion band, Natural Bridge. He was okay. Might as well mention him.

17. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Michael Manring's stuff is a must for anyone checking out fusion bassists... what it's a fusion of is anyone's guess, but he's THE man...

Also check out Abe Laboriel's solo album Guidum - fine playing there, and some really bizarre techniques.

Jimmy Haslip is great with the Yellowjackets, and both his solo albums are well worth getting.

Kermit Driscoll played with Bill Frisell for quite a few years - any of the trio albums that they did together with Joey Baron on drums are amazing (or anything else with Bill Frisell on, who is IMHO one of the most important musicians alive today...)

have fun!