Jazz=Growl, P=Thump, Soapbars? MM? Humbuck? etc?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rumzini, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    You get the idea. Please fill in the balnks. Am I wrong about the Jazz and P? I'm just trying to get any idea in words of the tone of different PUP's and Configurations. Anyone want to submit the complete list??? Different brands as well???
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It depends on the placement really as well as the construction of the pickup. Honestly, in this time of many many many different types of pickups one can't make a generalization about any pickup.
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Soapbars are generally dual coils, many of which can be switched from dual to single like (jazz-like). Some are duals that can be switched to split-coil (P-like).

Humbuckers aren't necessarily any type of pickup. It just means that coils are cancelling each other's hum out so that it "bucks" the hum. EMGs are always noise-free (for the most part).

MMs are MusicMan-like humbuckers that are the MM size and usually with exposed poles. It gives it a more Stingray-like tone with punch and growl, but these types are usually coil switchable as well.

A LOT of electronics packages and pickup manufacturers, as well as bass makers, are making coil switching a lot easier allowing easy access to extremely wide varieties of tones. The EQing that you do to each coil config will really define the type of tone you're going for.

You don't necessarily need one style of pickup for one type of sound. A Jazz can sound a lot like a P if it's EQed and played properly. I've heard decent slap tones from simple P-basses as well.

Hope this answers some of your questions.