Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz guitar tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheBassBetween, Jul 6, 2005.

1. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Does anybody know how to get that really nice jazz guitar tone on bass. I'm watching "The Day Bass Players Took Over The World," (I believe it's called) and Bill Dickins has a really nice jazz sounding tone-- almost like a jazz guitar tone.

So does anybody know how to get a jazz guitar tone on a bass?

2. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    if i'm thinking of the same type of tone, i'd try a Jazz bass direct with as little coloration as possible, both pickups evenly balanced. And a very balanced and even right hand!

3. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Sorry! I don't think I make myself very clear. I meant the jazz guitar tone-- as in having the bass sound like a clean jazz tone on a guitar.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The sound you want may be difficult to achieve with a solidbody bass guitar. Hollow-bodied jazz boxes are built and set up to give the notes a hard "pop" without too much sustain. The typical jazz guitarist also uses flatwound strings; flatwounds on a bass, however, may be too dead-sounding for melodic soloing.

If you want to mimic a jazz guitar tone, I'd play with a pick close to the bridge, with some right hand palm muting to control the sustain. You might also want to use a compressor to get the requisite "pop" at the start of the note.

5. also light guage strings helped me get that "jazz guitar" sound and also i would look at the amp too. look at a SWR or Eden sound rather than ampeg...i now realize that this has nothing to do with effects, but this may be a technique issue.

6. Bill was playing a 7 string bass that has high pitched strings. Short of a 7 string you could have a piccolo bass, I use a Harmony H-22 hollowbody bass with D'Addario piccolo strings and get a very jazzy tone that makes guitar players jealous.
    I can also get a semi-jazzy tone using my Akai UniBass with no overdrive and the tone rolled all the way off but the piccolo bass is much better

7. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Ok. What about amp settings?

8. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    It was more due to the bass than anything. I have a GTBD-7 and it's upper register is very close to that of a jazz guitar... moreso than the tone you usually here from a bass played up high. As far as settings I run everything flat and usually roll the blend a bit towards the neck pickup.