1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Headstock Conversion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Texan, May 19, 2011.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I am in the process of customizing a cheap PJ with a Jazz neck. I want to recut the headstock to a Tele shape. Has anyone sucessfully done this?

2. Staunch

Staunch Banned

Used to be standard Fender shaped.....

IMG_0516.

3. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    What kind of saw did you use to make the cut? Any tips or tricks to get smooth cut, no nicks, etc.?

And how much did you pay for that custom string tree?

4. Staunch

Staunch Banned

I just used a bandsaw and finished it off on a oscillating spindle sander... I think the entire process took 15 minutes.

The string tree cost $347.50. It was the creation of the official Presidential luthier, which explains how there were so many cost overruns.. they had to use a $32,000,000 drill.. It is pure nickel.

5. Thank you for totally making my morning. The serpentine belt flew off my car on the way to work (poof, no power steering) but this made it almost worth having to bum a ride home.

6. Lol I heard the paperwork is killer to get any work done by that guy. :)

But yeah you'll be fine cutting it off with a band saw and then sanding somehow. The only "issue" is that the rest of the head stock will still be finished and that side won't be. So how ever you want to handle that go for it...

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    This is a somewhat common mod. Another way to go about it is to cut with a bandsaw and clean up with a template and router. (My preference)
    As far as the finish, you can sand out the headstock so it has some teeth, and spray the headstock completely to get a good blend.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i mean no offense, but that headstock shape isn't very accurate ;):

68telebassheadstock.

9. It's close enough to look good though.

10. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Given that, due to trademark issues, you really aren't supposed to duplicate Fender headstocks with 100% accurace, I'd say it's probably close enough. ;)

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    for your own instrument, you can shape it anyway you want. it's only if you start making & selling them that you'd need a license.

12. Staunch

Staunch Banned

No offense taken. Like I said, it took all of 15 minutes... cut it freehand...I didn't try very hard as the neck was going on a beater. Total C- for effort on my part.

13. Staunch

Staunch Banned

Happy to be of service, sir. Sorry to hear about your car... but just think of all the muscles you will develop without power steering.

14. I agree, I drove cars with no power steering for ages, you sissy :D

15. First, it may not be 100% accurate but it still looks damn good.

Second, I am totally ripping off that string tree idea.

16. the shape does not bug me too much but the fact that the screw is off center on the coin does.

17. Off center screw = improved tone!

18. Hey! Show some class and use a Krugerrand.

krugerrand.

Now THAT would catch the attention of the audience - but try to get the hole in the middle and the coin standing upright too. Go full-class.