1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jazz highway 2003 condenser?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TubeMaker, May 18, 2011.

  1. TubeMaker


    Jan 30, 2011
    hello I have a jazz highway one 2003. Do you know what kind of condenser it mounts? I would like to change it.

    Thank you in advance! :bag::bassist:
  2. SDB Guitars

    SDB Guitars Commercial User

    Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I'm not familiar with a condenser on that model of bass. Do you mean the pickups?

    I believe it just uses standard AlNiCo Fender Jazz pickups.
  3. Bassman822


    Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    If you mean the tone control caacitor, that bass uses a 0.047uf cap (condensor)
  4. Like this:


    ...or this?


    ...or this?

  5. SDB Guitars

    SDB Guitars Commercial User

    Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Like one of the first two, I'd guess (most likely the second one). You rarely see the electrolytic ones like the third one in instruments. I think every guitar or bass I've bought has had a ceramic tone cap of some sort.
  6. TubeMaker


    Jan 30, 2011
    Hello guys, sorry for the late.
    The point is that I am a noob and a friend of mine told me that If I wanted change a bit the sound I can change this 'condenser' inside tha bass. Since I go to the luthier I can tell him to change this 'tone' with another one. So now I have to understand what kind of tone-condenser I have. If it is normal then I go for the greasetone either than viceversa (?)

    Do you have any suggestions? Thank yoy mates! :bassist:

    I don't want the TBX
  7. ehque


    Jan 8, 2006
    It's called a capacitor. You should be able to pick some up for cheap at hardware stores, as compared to audio/music guys.

    Changing the value will have a much greater difference than changing the type.
  8. TubeMaker


    Jan 30, 2011
    Do You know a good new capacitor to put inside? I can't try myself many differents capacitros and I can't ask a luthier to do that for me :(

    (thank you!) :)
  9. It all depends on WHERE you want the frequencies to be strongest, of most reduced, mainly.

    The higher values of a cap, the more the HIGH freqs will be attenuated or removed.

    F'rinstance, a .050uF cap which is stock on most basses, takes off the HIGHs from a certain plateau UP.

    Going to a .100uF cap will take off the HIGHs, but starting at a lower range.

    I suppose it's possible to take all the HIGHS and MIDs out and leave nothing but the LOWs, but that will take too much of the life out of the tone I think.

    The caps I tend to buy are from Radio Shack and they go for 3/99 cents, and that's even too high to pay.

    If you go for the very highly esteemed Orange Drops - which do exactly the same thing - you pay quantum amounts more for a dumb name and bragging rights that be able to say that you were gullible enough to get swept into the name brand frenzy.

    Then there's the whole 'ceramic-vs-paper & oil-vs-mylar-vs-wafer-vs-cylindrical-vs-gumdrop-vs-carrots' theory.

    This is a very slippery slope and one which you will not find a peaceful answer, as somebody will argue that they can hear the difference.

    Just wait - the flaming technophiles are a-coming outta the closet right after this post; you'll see.
  10. TubeMaker


    Jan 30, 2011
    is grease tone a capacitor?
  11. 'Grease bucket' maybe?

    Here's a pix of the circuit:


    Not sure it's a bass-viable circuit though, as this is a Telecaster (6-strings) guitar device.

    This could be the thing I learn today if someone knows it works on a bass too.

    This is a better pix of it, see if you can follow the green wire here::


    HINT: There ain't no green wire.

    OK -- wait - I'll download the damned pix and post it in a minute - photobucket ----> #*&!(

    EDIT - got it. :D
  12. walterw

    walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 20, 2009
    do you play with the tone knob turned down?

    if you don't, then the capacitor doesn't do anything to the sound and doesn't matter.
  13. You don't want to use aluminum electrolytics, or any other polarized caps (Tantalums, etc.) for tone controls!
  14. "Condenser" is a very old fashioned term for a capacitor.
  15. recnsci


    Apr 8, 2010
    It's called condenser in bunch of european languages, so it's not uncommon for us nonenglish folks to make mistake and name it condenser insted of capacitor when we speak and write in english.
  16. Let's just call it what it originally was: a Leyden jar.
  17. TubeMaker


    Jan 30, 2011
    thx mate for the overview. So Does my 2003 hgw1 got the grease tone circuit?

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.