Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Improv Topics

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by patprouty, Feb 10, 2006.

1. patprouty

patprouty

Dec 31, 2005
    Detroit
    I have to write a ten page paper for my improv class. It can be about any aspect of jazz improv but it must include pedagogy as part of it. I can't think of any topic that hasn't been beat to death. My best idea is "How to improvise a bassline under any circumstance" but I don't think I can write ten pages on that. Any ideas for a topic?

2. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I think the how to walk a bass line idea is good, but any circumstance is too broad.

Maybe something like, "How to walk a bass line on 'My One and Only Love." You could get examples of how all the greats did it. And discuss how the role of the bass line has changed from when, say, Ray Brown did it, to when I don't know how to spell his name plays it on "Now He Sings, Now he sobs" with Chick (Mirslov Vitous? I know that's wrong, Sorry guys).

I don't know if this type of thing would cover your paper. But you could also do something like, "Exploring the use of major triads to solo." I don't mean the root position triad, like the ones built off of scale degree 2 and 3 (and maybe 6 if you're daring) on major chords, etc.

Hope this helped.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    "Evolution of _______ in the bass player's vocabulary," or "Evolution of ______ in the jazz vocabulary."

Possible inclusions for blanks...

blues progressions
    melodic minor harmony
    influences of eastern music
    influences of afro-cuban rhythms

etc.

4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How about a comparison of the teaching materials used to teach walking bassline construction, Basically the evolution of Pedagogy of the Creation of Walking lines.

You could analyze the way books by Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Rufus Reid and others try to teach how to create a bassline.

I think you would learn a great deal, and probably have a lot of material you could use.

5. Or...how about Bill Evans´ bassists? The influence of Scott to his followers? Or piano trios in general?

R2

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Evolution? or Intelligent design? :bag:

7. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I did a paper in college on the impact of amplification on DB playing.