1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz in Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by evil-g, Nov 20, 2010.

1. evil-g

evil-g Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    What's up Cincinnati bassists, seems I'm headed up there over the Thanksgiving Holiday to be with family and was wondering where to go to here some music (Jazz). I'll be staying in West Chester, Ohio. I will have Wednesday and Friday evenings free so I figure I may as well check some music. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Evil-g

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    The Blue Wisp big band usually plays on Wednesdays, but their web site is down so I can't verify it for this next Wednesday. If you want to see a legendary drummer, find out if John von Ohlen is playing with them - he's phenomenal. The Faux Frenchman play Django Reinhart style jazz at Sitwells in Clifton that night as well. http://www.fauxfrenchmen.com/about.htm

There's usually a bunch of pretty good players Friday nights at Terry's Turf Club...they start kind of late, though.

I'm playing both those nights, but with definitely more of an original music power pop band called Psychodots. We're at Canal St. in Dayton on the 24th and Southgate House in Newport KY on the 26th. :D

3. evil-g

evil-g Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    Thanks Nysbob, I guess Dayton it not to far. Maybe I'll show up.

4. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Wow...funny I saw this. I just got home from playing at the Wisp. I would second going to see the big band on Wednesday. They are quite well known. Whenever jazz guys come through town, they try to stop in and see the big band. I think Sandy Suskind (a great jazz flutist) is playing at the Wisp on Friday and he should have a good group with him.

If you go just across the river into Covington, Von Ohlen (a legendary drummer already mentioned) will be playing at a place called Dee Felice Cafe on Friday and Saturday. Across the street is Chez Nora and a good New Orleans style named Rickie Nye pianist is playing on Friday.

I do have to add that the Psychodots are a great band and they are definitely worth checking out when you get a chance.

If you dig Indian Food...for the love of god...go and eat at Ambar India. http://www.ambarindia.com

5. evil-g

evil-g Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    Thanks Aaron J, I will checkout the Blue Wisp.

Evil-g

6. evil-g

evil-g Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    OK I've got four leads. Anyone else have anything to add. I would ask my family but they are not into the bar/club thing at all.

Evil-g

7. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ok...I just got back from hearing the Psychodots in Dayton. It was a great show. I would highly recommend hearing them at the Southgate House in Newport on Friday.

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    The Blue Wisp is the only place I know of off-hand that has jazz acts regularly. Not the greatest area of town but usually quiet around this particular club. It's neat inside of it and if you happen to catch a decent band, it's an awesome event!

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Hey - thanks for coming out to see us Aaron! :cool:

The PDots only play a few gigs a year, but we always have a good time. :D