Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz in Prague, Krakow & Budapest

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by LarryR, Jan 23, 2006.

1. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'll be in these cities in April. Does anyone know of any straight-ahead Jazz clubs? Also, does anyone know any luthiers/music stores? Who knows I might be on the hunt for a bass.

2. basstef

basstef Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    In Krakow there's a great place called Indigo. I believe they still have jazz on a regular basis.

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Budapest has a really nice jazz record shop, and one of the main theatres there puts on jazz. Unfortunately I can't remember names of adresses for either, sorry.

4. It´s been too long since I´ve been in Prague, so I can´t tell what´s happening at the moment. Try to find performances with Jaromir Honzak on bass. He will tell you everything you should know.
    In Krakow:
    HARRIS PIANO JAZZ BAR
    28, Main Square,
    tel. (012) 421 57 41
    Traditional jazz concerts, Tuesdays, 9 p.m.; Jam session, Thursdays, 9 p.m.,
    Blues concerts, Fridays, 9 p.m.; Jazz concerts, Saturdays, 9 p.m.;
    Jazz Mix Party, Wednesdays, 9 p.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"U MUNIAKA" Jazz Club
    3, Floriańska St,
    tel. (012) 423 12 05
    Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, 9.30 p.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIGO Jazz Club
    26, Floriańska St,
    tel. (012) 429 17 43
    Thursdays, 9 p.m.

KORNET Jazz Club
    19, Krasińskiego Alley
    Jam session performed by Old Metropolitan Band, Wednesdays, Fridays,
    8 p.m.; Blues concerts, Thursdays, 8 p.m.

PIEC'ART
    12, Szewska St,
    tel. (012) 429 64 25
    Wednesdays, 8.30 p.m.

WIERZYNEK
    15, Main Square,
    tel. (012) 292 10 88
    Fridays, Saturdays, 8 p.m.

Also check "Piwnice Pod Baranami" and get in touch with Mr. Witold Wnuk. Witek knows everything about jazz in Krakow, and he also organizes the jazz festival in Pod Baranami in july.

Hope this helps,

R2

5. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Gentlemen,

Thank you so much. This is great info and if you're in Krakow on April 5th at 3pm near 32 Szvinsky Street (which is an imaginary location of my choosing) I'd love to buy you a coke!

Thanks even to you, Oliebrice from Bath, who got me so excited about the record shop and club whose names you can't remember!! :)

Peace gents...

6. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Kraków has a few bars around the main square that have jazz bands - Artho has listed the ones that I'm aware of. There are two luthiers on Krowoderska, very close to the city center. One primiarily deals with bows but the other always has a few basses around. I think his last name is Pawlikowski? I can go look it up but his shop isn't hard to find.

7. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thank you for the info. Peter. Do you live in Krakow? If so, maybe we can meet up. May I ask you something? I'm still looking for a hotel there. I found the following place and am waiting for their email response for availability.
    http://www.trecius.krakow.pl

My requirements for a hotel is that it's clean, safe, cool and in the city. I'm travelling with my Mother. Otherwise I'd save the money and look for a hostel. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but, I'm also looking on other sites.

Thanks again for responding.