Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz is Dead w/ Jeff Pevar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexssandro, Aug 2, 2001.

1. It seems like Jimmy Herring has departed from Jazz is Dead and they have replaced him with Jeff Pevar. Is anyone familiar with his playing? I don't think there are any recordings of him with Jazz is Dead. I think the new live one that's coming out still features Herring.

To me, Herring's sound and playing style is such a strong presence that I can't imagine how someone would face the task of filling his shoes. Anyone seen any of the shows or heard anything regarding Jeff Pevar and how he fits in with the band?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I see JID has just released a new LIVE one; not famaliar with Pevar.
    Have you picked up Herring's solo disc, Project Z?

3. Yeah, I got Project Z a while back. There are some "Herring moments" on that disk, but I don't think it compares to his work with the ARU and JID.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I don't think Jimmy Herring's departure is permanent, is it? He is currently touring with Phil and Friends (a show NOT to be missed, he and Warren Haynes rip it up!!).

5. From the looks of their website, my interpretation is that as of now, Jimmy Herring is no longer in the band. If you look at the biography page of their website, http://www.jazzisdead.com/biograph.htm, you can see that the new guitar player is listed under "Current Players" and Herring is listed under "Alumni" along with Jeff Sipe and Billy Cobham.

I don't mean to dismiss Pevar cause I've never heard his playing, but who do you think would be a good replacement for Herring? I think it would be a trip to hear John McLauglin in JID!