Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz, Jam Band, Dub/Reggae, College Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, May 8, 2005.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I am now officially overwhelmed by all the amp choices. I have researched non stop on talkbass and know pretty much every ampa nd cab specs, etc. I will be going away to college after next year (Currently Community college). So I am gonna say portability is a concern. My styles include: Jazz, Jam Band stuff, classic rock, funk, and dub/reggae. I am not sure what to get that is loud enough. At one point i had a hartke 3000 hooked up to 2 aggie 112's. It was not loud enoughi felt. Maybe because the cabs were underpowered? Maybe because the mids were a little lacking (tried to dial in some mids)? I am looking to buy used and dont like 15's. My price point is about 400-500 bucks for the first cab, considering id more than likely be going with multiple cabs.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you havent sold the aggie cabs i wouldn't.

you were definitely underpowering them. IMO, hartke is very liberal with their wattage claims on their amps. i ran an aggie 112 with 400 watts from one side of a stewart 2.1 and it was LOUD. not as loud as a bag end 115, and it needed the mids boosted compared to the bag end, but it was good and had more lows than the bag end.

on that note, the bag end S15 is a very atypical 15" cab so it's worth checking out. not at all "slow" or "tubby" like most other fifteens, and it is loud with a great midrange presence.

hopefully, you havent sold the aggies, but if you did, you can always pick some up or go with bag end S15's, or epifani 112s, bergie 112s or some other great cabs like ea or accugrove. (budget allowing)

it seems that what you really need though is a powerful and lightweight head. IMO, you just underpowered the aggies. there are tons of options, i'm sure a thunderfunk, eden 550, i-amp, aggie 500, and a slew of others would keep you happy for a long time if you had two portable 8 ohm cabs like the ones i've mentioned.

3. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I sold the cabs about a year ago. Im glad to hear i was just underpowering the aggies, because they sounded awesome, just not being pushed enough.

The bag end 15's were in the back of my mind for a choice, just didnt want people suggesting a 2x10 and a 1x15 setup.

When i was at basscentral buying my aggie cabs, i played through an eden wt-550. I have read numerous times about headroom and how a 200 watt difference is not going to seem louder. The wt-550 sounded good, but they just plugged me in and i did not want to be rude and crank it. I may just take a 10 min. drive to bass central and A/B some cabs.

DAmn, as im typing i keep thinking about the bag ends. Perhaps a 15 and a 12. Uh oh, i need to try these things out.

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my main rig is a beg end S15 and S12. the 12 isnt the best stand alone cab, but the combination really shines. if you want a tweeter than you have to get the bag end S15X which will set you back quite a bit more as it has a good crossover and a titanium tweeter mounted coaxially in the 15.

i used an aggie 12 for a while with both and sold it only as i needed the cash. the aggie has a bit more lows than the 15, and definitly more lows than the 12, but both cabs are louder than it is, the 15 being quite a bit louder. the bag end 12's real forte' is strong midrange which cuts thru just about anything.

5. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I know the lows are important, but i dont want it to be mud city. It really is up in the air if i want more lows or more cut. Hell, im not even in a band right now, but want to be prepared when the time arises.

As far as a head unit, i was considering a GK 1001RB-II for the Aggies instead of the wt-550 purely for a clean, articulate sound and a little head room. Any thoughts on this setup? or the GK with the bagends. atleast ive got it down to two different brands of heads and cabs.

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    IME, the Bag End S-15's are mid-heavy, but don't offer much low-end. The specs would concur as they only go down toe 50 Hz.

Can you manage a 4x10?

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    At that price point, you might consider an Acme B2. It's plenty loud if you have the right amp hooked up to it and will give you more than enough low end for everything you're talking about.

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yes, if you're accompanying a chorus of church mice ;)

9. I had my first chance to play with an Acme B2 this weekend, using a 900-watt SWR pro amp. Band rehearsal at the drummer's studio, and this rig was available, so I used it. It sounded pretty great once I dialed everything in. The speaker was on the floor against a wall, which surely helped, but the low-end was very much there and it was plenty loud overall. I don't know that it could fill a club, but it worked more than great for rehearsal, and I imagine it would fill a stage just fine.

That was with 900 freakin watts though.

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i replaced my swr goliath 2 4x10 (which i loved) with a bag end S15D - same volume, and darned close to the same low end. 44 lbs vs. 90 lbs.

11. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    I thought about the B2's from acme, but might be alittle too immobile. Also the fact that you have to put atleast 750 watts into each B2 to get htem to open up. As far as the bag ends and the aggies, ill just have to try some bag ends out to compare.