Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Jazz Jazz

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Coleman, May 4, 2003.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    i have more interesting for learn jazz, but no one can teach me ...
    can everyone tell me some about jazz......?

and then how is jazz 's chord progression?is u can if u like?

p.s.:i know many topic talk about this, sorry...please help!

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you are interested in persueing Jazz, I definatley suggest that you look into some formal training and get into some theory books. Not that we're to lazy here to answer all of your questions ;) It's just that the style of music is so rich harmonically and melodically (and even rythmically) it would be pretty hard to describe everything you need to know in a couple of post.

A brief history on Jazz (or as we know it today) is it grew out of the swing/big band movement. The interesting part about Jazz is it grew because of being rebellious to other styles of music. (In this case, Classical and Swing) Players began taking the feel from swing and improvising very technical phrases over the chord patterns. They would write "signature melodies" that would always be played at the beginning of the song. These signature melodies are known as "Heads". After the head the soloists (and even the rythm section) would take turns improvising over the chords. This style of Jazz was very frantic, loud, and a lot of times, fast. It is called BeBop. Since Bebop was very energetic and fast paced, another Jazz movement came out to counter this. It was based on more relaxed melodies and progressions. It was known as Cool Jazz (and sometimes refered to as West Coast Jazz).

That's just the beginner there. I definatley just skimmed the surface and didn't even begin to talk about Hardbop, Smooth Jazz, Fusion, Latin Jazz, ect. But I never pretend to be a Jazz History Aficaiando.

As far as chord progressions. The very basic is known as a Jazz Blues. It usually follows a 12 bar form using the I7, IV7, and V7 chord progession with a turn around at the end of the form. (I, vi, II, V is a common turnaround) After the basic chords are layed down, Jazz composers will a lot of times add extra chords to the progression, known as "Chord Substituions". These chords help add new perspectives to the melody. There are many different chord progressions in Jazz, but 2 other popular progressions are known as Rythm Changes and Coltrane Changes.

Again, this is just skimming the surface. I apologize if my word compositition isn't that great, but I really didn't proofread this. Hope some of this helps.

3. If you want to play jazz you first need to know the major scale and all its modes, and it is good to know melodic and harmonic minor too. You also need to know how to make chords of all sorts (min7, maj7(9), sus4, dom7th etc) and the arppegios of these chords. To learn the basics of jazz bass I would suggest Ed Friedland's "Jazz Bass" and "Building Walking Bass Lines". I would also listen to as much jazz as you can. The more you listen to it the more you will feel it.

4. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    the harmonic minor is just the Aeolian mode of the major scale....;)

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

uh, it's Natural minor that's the Aeolian mode.......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with that part - I found the Ed Friedland's "Jazz Bass" book very useful when I started learning Jazz and have since leant it out to others starting out.

And of course nothing beats listening to as much recorded or live Jazz as you can.

7. Harmonic minor is not the same as the natural minor or the it has a major (#7).

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What would be the difference? :D

Raised and sharpened both mean it's raised by a semitone...

But you could just say it has a major 7th, which is pretty clear.