1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz lick for major 7th chords - Bass lesson with Scott Devine

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by devine, May 26, 2011.

1. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
    Owner: Scott's Bass Lessons
    Hey guys,

Just uploaded another soloing tutorial up onto youtube. Just demonstrating a simple major 7th type arpeggio lick to give players an insight into how to create lines using chord tones.

I also give some tips on how to develop melodies and licks by using different rhythmic values.

Tutorial...

2. Great work...I just happened to have my Jazz on hand, so thanks!

(BTW, glad to see I'm not the only person playing with a glove)

3. Very nice. Never thought of the alphabet thing in relation to music before, makes alot of sense.

BTW, I've never seen your stuff before, so I gotta ask: What's the black glove for?

4. Craigster

Craigster

May 17, 2008
    So Cal
    very cool, I'll have to check out more of your stuff, thanks!...by the way why do you wear a glove, doesn't get in the way of freting?

5. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
  6. Great analogy. Also appreciate you mentioning the degrees of the lick. I'm an interval number guy.

R-3-5-7-9-7-R-3-5-7-5-3-R-7-9-R-3

Thanks for doing that; helped a lot to see how chord tones and licks become melody.

Especially like how you walk us through how this lick can work itself into a melody. I think we all know that those five notes are enough for a melody, but, then having the interval numbers clearly show how the magic can happen, i.e. made it all come into focus.

As always great lesson.

Thanks.

7. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
  8. Glad to hear that - good to know others (the good ones) do also.

9. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    Another great lesson...thanks!

10. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Great video. It's great that bass players like you spend time to show us what you know in very infomative videos.

I plan on watching your other videos over the Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Also, (I apologize if this has already been covered), but why do you wear a glove?

11. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006