Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz mags

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Howard K, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    So... I bit the bullet and bought my first jazz mag..
    JazzWize.
    First impressions are that it seems like a really good read, the copy I have has an interview with Christian McBride and Maceo Parker - two people I've actually heard of and am interested to read about.
    The article's are informative, interesting and seems really well written/ edited etc. I was also deeply impressed by the several pages of CD reviews in the back... especially that there was a review of Grateful Dead and Jimi Hendrix CD. I'd though a jazz mag would be overly focussed on trad.

I'm guessing this is a UK mag? - So any UK readers out there - Bruce? - Opinions?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hahaha! Sorry, it's just that 'jazz mag' kinda has another meaning. And I'd be surprised if, at the age of 28, you'd never looked in a jazz mag before :D :D

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - JazzWise is a UK magazine and my favourite of all those available - so it talks about CD releases you can actually buy here and about people you can see perform! They do have a lot of articles about US Jazz stars - especially when they are touring over here, as well as Europeans etc.

But it is all worthwhile to UK readers - whereas US magazines like Jazz Times are occasionally interesting - the issue last year with Jaco on the cover was definitely worth having! - but usuallly there is not enough of interest for me to buy it.

Also - get on JazzWise's mailing list! They send out a regular catalogue with new Jazz DVDs, Books, Playalongs - mostly to do with Jazz education - I nearly always buy something from them, from this list and it is often the only way to get hold of stuff like this.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I think you and I both thought about the same meaning for 'Jazz Mags'!

Howard - sorry, I just about spat water over my monitor there, your thread title was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time!

To all Jazz players - no disrespect intended!:)

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    It was intentional...

Oh and I have seen "jazz" mags before, but being 100% honest I've NEVER bought one... or stolen one before someone asks.

Aah, I'd assumed it was UK based, as it had an ad for the Aebersold jazz school in the UK... kind of a giveaway really!
    ...and only £32 for a years subscription, not bad at all!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They had Jimi Hendrix on the cover of the last issue and they have also had Steely Dan on the cover before!

I just see it as "grown-up" music for adults that is not "classical" - they don't focus on traditional forms, which is why I like it so much I guess.

It is more about the kind of Jazz that is actually played and alive today in the UK - although there is a bias towards London - but that is the heart of the UK Jazz scene and where the big US stars play.

So - recently I saw a group called "Acoustic Ladyland" at my local Jazz club - which was a standard Jazz quartet - Tenor Sax, Piano, DB and drums - but they only played the music of Jimi Hendrix - and treated Hendrix's tunes as they would a Jazz standard. So - Sax plays "head" and there are solos, trading with drums etc.

I see loads of fusions of Jazz - so like on Friday I will go to Brighton Jazz club and see Gilad Atzmon's Orient Ensemble - so he is an Israeli Sax/Clarinet player and his group includes a Palestinian woman singer and violinist!

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah this is how it seemed to me... it was quite refresing actually! Still havent even read a quarter of it yet!
    I've bought bass player for the past few years, but I have to admit that short of the odd decent cover article (the one that got me into Mingus), most of it is about some git who is no better player than me... and no disrespect to any musician at any level, but it often doesnt make for an intersting read... I wouldnt expect bassists to want to hear about me if one of my bands got signed!

"Yeah, it's like I played around on the B string cause the track was in B, man, then I jus' came up with this li'l riff, so we ran it through pro-tools and whammo, laid it down in just under forty takes"

Not good.