Jazz Mandolin Project

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Anyone ever check out this album? I think it came out in 1995. I just picked it up the other night, and it's really cool. If you like Bela Fleck, this is right up your alley. Great bass playing, too. The guy's name is Stacy Starkweather. They interviewed him in BP a while back, and he was saying how his Ken Smith Burner 5-string has such a flimsy neck that he can make it sound fretless just by pushing the neck out with his arm. Well, it's true.. it is awfully hard to believe he's not playing fretless on some of the album. I'm not sure if he's in the touring ensemble, but they are playing here in Atlanta next month with the Charlie Hunter Trio!!
  2. Ed, you are correct.. their website says Chris Dahlgren is the current bassist and has been in the band since early 1998. Stacy Starkweather was the bassist from 1994-1997. Thanks for the heads-up.. now I know to expect URB when I go see them (sometimes if I'm expecting electric and it's not, I'm a little miffed.)
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    You know...I'm gonna revive this topic, because the Jazz Mandolin Project is AWESOME.

Btw -- I agree, it's incredibly hard to believe that it's NOT a fretless on the electric tracks. I was convinced, and am pretty surprised to read that it's not, actually!
  4. It's so strange that you happened to bump this 4+ year old thread back up to the top this morning, because just a couple of hours ago, I dug into my stack of BP back issues for a random copy, and guess which one I pulled out? November '97, with Stacy Starkweather! Eerie..
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The only album I bought was Xenoblast (2000 I think). Masefield plays that thing like a gui**r! Trey Antipasta ;) makes a cameo on Hang Ten which is just amazing. I've got some live shows and when Jon Fishman sits in the energy goes through the roof. Oh yeah, some good bass playing too...
  6. stacystarkweath

Aug 11, 2005
    Someone informed me of this discussion and I had to stop in. I loved reading the thread about the neck on my Ken Smith. I am sure I didn't make any friends there by implying their necks were flimsy...that was just my bass, and I do "Belew-ish" 1/2 step harmonic dive bombs bending the neck so it is greatly abused at this point. Nice to know some people heard the music out there....
  7. Stacy Starkweather RULES!! I used to watch him play in the local jazz scene when I was in high school in Burlington, VT back in early 90's. He's a very gifted and sensible player. ;)

8. stacystarkweath

Aug 11, 2005
    While this bass is up for discussion, I have to announce it was stolen yesterday in Fairfield California
    Ken Smith Burner Custom 5 Serial # 915385